Roots growing into septic tank

Users who are viewing this thread

KineticoUser

Reaction score
One of my showers backed up once, so I figured something is reducing the flow out of my septic tank. I removed the covers to the tank, and the level looks higher than normal. I dug up the output side of the tank and found a culprit. Here is what it looks like. https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnhFeJX0YorirQd-smyGGmPtKSQ7
I probably need to dig up the input side also, as that may have the same problem. I'm thinking of building a box around the line in and out to reduce the likelihood of roots finding it again, but I'd appreciate your feedback on what would be the best way to fix this problem. If I cut the pipe, I figure I'll have a flood on my hands, so another solution would be appreciated. I'd prefer not having to pay a few hundred dollars to drain the tank, but will do so if that is the only option. If I need to cut the pipes and reinstall them, what do you recommend to seal it into the tank, so it doesn't attract roots again? A juniper bush near one of my seepage pits looks healthier than the others, so I'll probably dig down to the top of that pit, also. If I need to redo the seal, would it be the same seal I use for the septic tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
How long has it been since you had your septic tank pumped? Putting that off is false economy.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
It's been 4 years. They said a 1200 gallon tank should last a good 10-12 years with only one person living in the house. I stuck a stick into the septic and I encountered no solids. The issue is the roots, not the septic, though I may have to pump the septic to lower the water level so I can do the repair.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is hard for me to tell if that root has grown into the pipe or the tank. If there is a crack of leak it will try to get in there. I would chop out any roots that you find. Some folks use copper sulphate also known as Blue Stone or Bluestone etc to help prevent roots from growing into the septic drains. Usually they tee into the line coming out of the septic tank or put a port in the top of the distribution box (D-Box).

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I am able to move the root everywhere other than where it touches the tank at the pipe, so I believe roots have found a way inside. I also find fine root hairs at the crack between the main tank and the top, but I'd hate to have to dig up the entire tank to fix that. I know I can easily remove the roots from the outside, but what is the best way to clear the roots from inside the line? I don't have a cleanout on the output side, but I believe I put one on the input side. I was already planning to use copper sulphate, but I still think it may be a good idea to create some kind of air gap between the dirt and where the pipe enters the tank to reduce the likelihood of roots growing in there in the future.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could pack hydraulic cement (cheap) around the pipe, and tie an old sock full of copper sulfate on the joint before closing the hole. Overkill probably, but I like cheap overkill.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they are in there, you need to cut them out. The blue stone will help prevent them from coming back. I would open up the lids and take a look. I wouldn't worry about the little fine roots unless it is a root mass. Cut out big roots and clusters of roots if you can. You could remove a section of pipe if it is easy to get too and is very clogged up. Plumbers have snakes with root cutters. They are powerful tools and can be dangerous.

JRC3

Reaction score
Is there a riser or access cover to the inside? Looks like the access is probably buried. Also is that ASB and how old is it?

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Is is possible to clear the inside of the pipes chemically? The Pro-Grade Heavy Duty Foaming Root Killer or RootX would make this a much easier task. I could put 2# in the toilet closest to the septic tank and 12# into the septic tank itself. What are your thoughts?

Foaming Root Killer 25 LBS: Easy-to-use, ready-to-use, and no mixing!!! Immediately kills roots. Opens clogged drains. Fast and powerful. Turns solid masses into free flowing liquids. Liquefies roots, grease, fat, oil, hair, paper, feminine products, baby wipes, sludge, hard water deposits, soap scum, cigarette butts, other organic obstructions, etc. It kills the roots by stripping the sap out of the roots in an around the pipe, making the roots brittle, thus causing RAPID ROOT DECAY. Leaves a residue behind, acting like a cork to prevent roots from coming back. Perfect for use on sewer pipe lines, storm pipes, septic tanks, septic leach line fields, etc. Safe for all plumbing. This is a professional product and not something you can buy at a big box store. This is what the municipalities use. Our formula acts faster than the competitors, working in only ten minutes. It encompasses the full circumference of the pipe by foaming up. It reaches the top of the pipe which is the hot spot for root entry. Find out why plumbers do not recommend this product to their customers. It gets rid of the tree roots in and around pipes, for a fraction of what plumbers charge to jet or replace the lines. It is rough on roots, but gentle on pipes. Jetting the lines is very hard on and can damage pipes.

EASY DIRECTIONS:

SMALL DRAINS (1 - 2 IN)- POUR 2-4 CUPS OF MATERIAL DOWN DRAIN. FLUSH WITH WATER 2-3 MINUTES.

2 - 4 IN DRAINS AND TOILET BOWLS- 1-2 LBS MATERIAL - FLUSH WITH WATER AND/OR FLUSH TOILET.

SEPTIC TANKS- 3-5 LBS MATERIAL FOR EVERY 500 GAL CAPACITY - FLUSH DOWN TOILET OR PUT INTO JUNCTION BOX OR DRAIN. FLUSH WITH WATER.

JRC3

Reaction score
I was asking about the age because my 1961 ABS is real brittle and snaking would be a no-no. Yours is plenty new.

Your risers are a bit tall but any chance of cutting the roots from the inside and pulling them out by hand. It may only be bunched up right at the opening. (Long gloves and raincoat recommended) And definitely have a helper.

JRC3

Reaction score
Pull that access cover and see what's going on in there. Get someone to help...That's one crappy way to die.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I know I've got a tee at the end of the pipe (inside the tank), but if a chemical solution will eliminate the problem I'd really prefer not diving into this tank (figuratively speaking... I hope).

JRC3

Reaction score
Your plumbing is backing up right now, I can't imagine any chemical or additive is gonna fix that in a timely manner. But I'm not a pro, I'm just a fellow septic owner.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
OK, let's forget about the chemical solution... though I am curious as to whether the Pro-Grade Heavy-Duty Foaming Root Killer is better than RootX, so I'd be open to your thoughts on this.

I messed up!!! Apparently, the root wasn't attached to the tank. The more I worked on it, the more I realized it could be moved. I removed the root and then used a toilet auger to check out both the input and output of this tank, and both sides are free of any roots. That leads me to believe the problem lies with the first seepage pit, which has the healthy growing juniper bush near by. I'll dig down to the top and check to see if water is flowing in and out of it, along with clearing any roots I may find. I won't be able to get to it till later this week, though.

Would you suggest I still dig up the input side of the septic tank, put more cement over what I already have and then place a box around both pipes to keep dirt away from where the pipes enter and exit the tank, along with sprinkling a pound of copper sulfate on each side?

KineticoUser

Reaction score
What if rather than using a box around the end of the pipe I filled the area with a mix of river rock mixed with potassium chloride and copper sulphate? Let me know the size of rock you'd recommend. I just don't want to have to dig this up again, so I want a solution that will keep any roots from growing close to the pipe where it enters or exits the septic tank. What are your recommendations?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you don't really have a root problem, I would chop any that you see out (I use lopping shears) and just fill the hole in with soil. If you put concrete or rock in there and you do need to do a repair at some point, it it will be very difficult digging with all that hard stuff in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks