Root Intrusion Advice

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by sewerman, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sewerman

sewerman New Member

I have root intrusion in my cast iron sewer line. The intrusion is right at the joint of the end of the cast iron line to the city ABS line and it is under the alley (outside of my property) My plumber wants to do hydro-jetting and says the city wont take responsibility.

my questions:
    (1) Is it really my responsibility (since it is under the city's alley)?

(2) Is hydro-jetting the best method for root removal? and can the pipe be sealed from further intrusion?

(3) Will taking out the offending plant (likely an oleander bush directly above) solve the problem?

thanks
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Yes, I would suspect so, as the city will likely say its line is fine and yours is the one with the problem ... and I do not know the answers to your other questions.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

roots

(1) Is it really my responsibility (since it is under the city's alley)?

In most cases it is your responsibility until it reaches the city main in the center of the alley.

(2) Is hydro-jetting the best method for root removal? and can the pipe be sealed from further intrusion?

It is the most expensive way, snaking is usually just as efficient. There is no inexpensive way to seal the pipe. Just snake it when it stops up. When you have to snake it every 9 to 12 months, then it will be time to replace it.

(3) Will taking out the offending plant (likely an oleander bush directly above) solve the problem?

It MAY cure the problem about 25 years after you remove them, but not likely until then, and even that may not be a long enough time period. I have had customers with root problems from trees they forgot had even been there.

thanks
  4. prashster

prashster New Member

There is a way to permanently seal the pipe. But I'm sure it's expensive. Basically, it involves epoxy sealing the inside of the pipe using a bladder that's airshot thru the pipe. Saw it on TOH.