Roofing Question

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by brosnt1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. brosnt1

brosnt1 New Member

When roofing a hip roof, are the shingles overlapped on the hip ridge or cut were they meet? and if they are overlapped, how far?
  2. TedL

TedL New Member

Follow the shingle manufacturer's installation instructions. Many product lines include hip/ridge shingles as a separate product.
  3. brosnt1

brosnt1 New Member

Thanks for the reply Ted, but I don't think you understand my question probably because I didn't explain correctly, let me try again. the roof style I have is called a Hip Roof. it has 4 sides or angles coming down from 1 common ridge on the top of the building. Where these side meet with each other there is a less pronounced Ridge. When installing the regular shingles, do you overlap over these ridges or do you cut the shingles where they meet on the top of these ridges. I have checked the manufactures installation procedures and looked all over the net and can't find this information. I understand what you mean about the ridge shingles being a different product or type of shingle, but I am talking strictly about the regular roof shingles, and whether they overlap or get trimmed. I have installed shingles on a regular gable style roof and I usually overlap at the top, but with the less pronouced ridge of a hip roof I'm afraid it might be noticable.
    thanks again
  4. coz

coz New Member

they meet at the ridge just like at the peak then you cap them like the peak
  5. coz

coz New Member

dont overlap them
  6. TedL

TedL New Member

7. coz

coz New Member

thanks, i`m a plumber.... seen about 500 roofs go on though