Roofing nail for bathtub install, rust?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Arsinek, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Arsinek

Arsinek New Member

Ive seen a lot of instructions saying to use roofing nails to nail the tub flange to the wall. But I thought I saw some talk somewhere on the web about roofing nails rusting. Is this true, will the roofing nails rust? If so what should I use instead?
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I use Hardibacker screws. They do make aluminum roofing nails that won't rust.
  3. Arsinek

Arsinek New Member

Well that sounds like I need to go with an aluminum nail than.
  4. DavidSeon

DavidSeon New Member

I used cement board screws as mentioned above; they are coated against corrosion and they nicely self-countersink (in acrylic flanges anyway). I gave up trying to hammer a nail straight years ago, so the screws are safer for the tub finish as well.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Decades ago I was a carpenter's helper hammering on a nail when the old Finnish carpenter commented "OOH, like lightning!" Thinking he was complimenting me, I replied "That fast eh?" "No" he said, "never hits the same place twice".

Go with the screws. Less likely to ever creep out and less likely that a wayward blow will ruin the tub.
  6. Arsinek

Arsinek New Member

Lol, thats pretty funny.

Well, I went with some electro galvanized I already had. Went to Lowes looking for aluminum ones and they didnt seem to have any, had the guy in hardware look too. Itll probably be fine, Im just obsessive compulsive a little.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A SS screw with a ss fender washer (or smaller, if appropriate) won't rust, either.