Roofing Edge

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Well, I did some roofing yesterday evening. Not too difficult. Probably pretty easy to tell it was my first attempt, but I'm sarisfied. We'll see if it doesn't leak.

I left an inch or so overhang on all sides. The bottom came out fine, but the overhang on the side look like I chewed them off with my teeth! How do the pros get that nice clean cut on all of the edges?

Thx
Jason

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"How do the pros get that nice clean cut on all of the edges?"

First you put a metal drip edge on all edges before you lay the shingles.

Then you can use a sharp utility knife to cut against the drip edge and it will be straight.

Or you can measure and cut using a metal square as a guide. Cut from the back of the shingle to minimize the damage to your knife from the grit.

The most obvious sign of an amatuer is if the notches in the shingles are in a raggedy line as you look up on the roof from the ground.

Lakee911

Reaction score
I'll have to ask my neighbor ( ;) ). My roof is so close to the property line you can't see the surface and there is a fence between the yards--makes it tough to backup. I'm pleased with surface, all the tabs in alternating rows line up nicely. I'm just disappointed with the side edge. Cutting from the back you say? What a novel idea. Wish I'd done that. That probably would have made the edge not so ragged.
It's a small roof. If it leaks I'll redo it. Less than 1 bundle of shingles.

Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
Yup. 22.5 sqft. Only covers a small 2ft bump-out on the lowerlevel.

Had to temporarily attach a 2x4 to the eve so I could get my ladder to stand away from the edge to as to not smash the drip edge and shingles. Ladder was too tall with the fence in the way at the bottom. Roof was too small to get on top of.

Just big enough to be a PITA. Good practice for me though! Now I feel I could frame, shieth and shingle a larger roof if I had to.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks