ROMEX®/cable color changes

Users who are viewing this thread

taz150

Reaction score
Hi to all.
In what year was the 10-2 changed to an orange sheathing ?,and the 12-2 changed to a yellow sheathing ?

Thank you

ROMEX®

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
In 2001, according to my sources. The color code is unofficial, and romex of all sizes is still made and sold in other
colors, chiefly white and black.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I don't think it was a certain year. They just started doing it and each manufacturer followed suit. Also don't forget, there was a lot of old stock to be used up as well, so the age of manufacture and the age of sale is sometimes off by quite a bit.

Why is this a concern to you?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I suspect you have to be careful not to totally rely on the color to tell you what it is. Some of that good chinese romex...after a few years the colors fade and orange looks like yellow...etc

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless the colors became a "universal standard" you cannot depend on ANYTHING other than the gauge of the wire to tell what you have. I believe I had a small roll of 14/2 wg which was yellow recently.

taz150

Reaction score
Thanks all for replys,
No was just wondering, I have seen orange and yellow sheathing around for a while now was thinking it might be a new industry/safety standard etc. By any means all wire I use gets double checked and is what it is supposed to be/ and correct for the application.

Bobelectric

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
That was brewed up by the home builders that used illegal workers to Pull white to here ,Pull yellow there, and orange here. Not a code issue.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
also one of the reasons for BLUE PEX for cold water and RED for hot. A "real plumber" would arrive at a house a day early and install all the "terminals" for the fixtures. Then the "kids" or illegals would come in the next day and start running red to the left connection and blue to the right one and toilets.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Then it would need another "smart" plumber to know which markers to use. If you gave the installers all white PEX, they would think they just had to put one system in going from connction to connection in record time. I have known some plumbers who did not check which "color" the copper tubing should be and interconnected the hot and cold lines at a manifold in the wall. Makes an interesting situation to try to locate WHERE it is after the walls are completed and painted.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hello. It has come to the attention of Southwire Company that you and the participants of your forum page are using the trademark name "ROMEX" on at least the following web page:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?43642-romex-cable-color-changes

As ROMEX is a registered trademark of Southwire Company, we ask that you please begin using the ® after ROMEX on your Chat page and state on your message board that ROMEX® is a registered trademark of Southwire Company.

Please make the following changes:
Thread: ROMEX®/cable color changes
We understand that you may be unable to control all usage of the mark ROMEX on your chat page. However, if it’s your preference not to make the adjustments mentioned above, please cease use of the ROMEX mark and encourage your forum participants to make reference to NMB instead of using the federally registered ROMEX trademark when referring to NMB cable in general.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. If this change is not made within ten days we will contact you again to check on your progress.

Thanks,

Beverly Cofield, Law Clerk
Southwire Company
770-832-5707

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello. It has come to the attention of Southwire Company that you and the participants of your forum page are using the trademark name "ROMEX" on at least the following web page:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?43642-romex-cable-color-changes

As ROMEX is a registered trademark of Southwire Company, we ask that you please begin using the ® after ROMEX on your Chat page and state on your message board that ROMEX® is a registered trademark of Southwire Company.

Please make the following changes:
Thread: ROMEX®/cable color changes
We understand that you may be unable to control all usage of the mark ROMEX on your chat page. However, if it’s your preference not to make the adjustments mentioned above, please cease use of the ROMEX mark and encourage your forum participants to make reference to NMB instead of using the federally registered ROMEX trademark when referring to NMB cable in general.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. If this change is not made within ten days we will contact you again to check on your progress.

Thanks,

Beverly Cofield, Law Clerk
Southwire Company
770-832-5707

Now That is Crazy.

Is there someone about to steal that name ?

Lets make sure we say Facebook® also.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
Like they have Nothing else to do, lol. this is a DYI forum for pete's sake, lol.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you don't defend the use of your trademark, it can go into the public domain, and anyone can use it. They, and many others, spend a huge amount of money developing and perfecting something, and often, being the first, people take the name as a generic. Consider tissue verses K...., or cellophane tape verses S....., or copy verses X..... If you owned those brands, wouldn't you want people to actually refer to YOUR product when people were thinking generic, or made in China knockoff? The impact is real, it is tangible, and legally, it is required, or you can lose it to generic status.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
They trademark the name so other companies can't use it, not people who consume their product... if the name is so catchy that consumers use it on a regular basis, they make sales. they should not think that we are trying to steal the ROMEX® name in any way. in fact, I bought ROMEX® last month (a south wire product, lol) I bought a few thousand feet of ROMEX® to rewire my house. They should be GRATEFUL that I, as a consumer, remember their trademark and slogans and ANY advertisements.

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Exactly, Jim. When you own a trademark, you need to make a reasonable attempt to defend it. It isn't possible to catch all uses of the name without the R or TM, but the company needs to show that they try to defend the ones that they find. If they lost the trademark, myself or anyone else, could make wire and slap the ROMEX name on it. Southwire obviously does not want that, so they protect the trademark.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
They own the trademark, PERIOD. OTHER COMPANIES WHO USE THE TRADEMARK ARE WRONG. Use of the Trademarked name, on a public DIY Forum, should only help sales, not hurt it. If I hear the name ROMEX®, guess where I shop? Big Orange Home Depot, who just so happens to carry ROMEX® branded products.. they benefit from people talking about their product.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
They own the trademark, PERIOD. OTHER COMPANIES WHO USE THE TRADEMARK ARE WRONG. Use of the Trademarked name, on a public DIY Forum, should only help sales, not hurt it. If I hear the name ROMEX®, guess where I shop? Big Orange Home Depot, who just so happens to carry ROMEX® branded products.. they benefit from people talking about their product.

That is so correct.

Putting the ® does not protect them from other company's using the name.

If they really own that trademark, They have rights to sue if someone does use it.

Reserved and Copyrighted and Trademark are also different, but if you own it , You own it.

I have a feeling that they lost the Copyright and did not pay the bill to keep the trademark.

It cost money to keep the name Reserved, Maybe they did not pay up.

Company's are looking at ways to stay afloat.

Don't you love them Lawyers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only way you can retain your trademark is to take reasonable effort to defend it's proper use...if you don't, then a legal opening is to declare it a generic, non-trademark. It has nothing to do with paying money...once a trademark is yours, it is yours until you relinquish it, or let it fall into public use through neglect or non-use.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
in generalized speaking terms such as this forum, you have no right to tell me how I am supposed to speak and refer to your products. if i were to say, "please hand me a kleenex to wipe off the glass on the xerox" i can without infringing on their trademark. this is not a business, not a money making venture. no ground to stand on. period. romex has been a common name for YEARS for common people to talk about nm-b wire. it is not hurting them at all with us talking about them. If I were to start a business and manufacture wire, and call my product roxex-like or something, then there would be an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks