roman tub valve HELP !!!.. I need some sound advice

Users who are viewing this thread

jkrause

Reaction score
I recently had my master bathroom remodeled including new travertine on the floors, shower, shower ceiling, new cabinets, counter tops, stone mosiac sinks.. AND roman tub surround.... The installers agreed that the tub framing and the old ceraimic tile were 100% sound enough to tile over (I understand this is commonm practice). the tub backerboard is 100% mudded (no hardiboard as te home was built in the early to mid 1980's) I removed the old valves by carefully chipping away the cement (the valves were installed into the Plywood and then mudded over, I had no choice.

Regardless the tile guys went ahead and installed the new stone over the existing tile on the deck of the roman tub...

HERE is the question in a nut shell..........

The deck is thick now... the new price pfister roman tub hardware has to be retro fitted into the new area.

Sorry is this is a little confusing but how do I do this .... not sure how to mount the valves at this point... forstner (sp) to open up the bottom? OR valve extenders.... I will take some photos as soon as possible.... WHAT do you folks need to see in order to help out ???????

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The top where you going to place faucet &underside where faucet connects
Thickness of what you are setting faucet on .

jkrause

Reaction score
The top where you going to place faucet &underside where faucet connects
Thickness of what you are setting faucet on .

deck height.jpg

valve.jpg

thoughts????

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I ran across this problem once before and had to remove some wood from
underneith in order to get the faucet shaft to tighten.Can you show underside

jkrause

Reaction score
I ran across this problem once before and had to remove some wood from
underneith in order to get the faucet shaft to tighten.Can you show underside

photo from the underside... looks to me like 1/2" plywood didn't measure it though.

under.jpg

sorry about the resolution .. I had to resize in a hurry

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Is it still 2" I dont what to tell you other than make it fit.You have a choice
take titile out or more wood.I know there is a soulution to your problem
just dont what yet. Sorry about typos.

Construct30

Reaction score
I've had to buy stainless plate with rounded edges, make hole in deck big enough attach plate to ceremic and drill holes for faucet. Home made base plate, some faucets come with them. I don't know if you could buy one ready made. I have a guy that makes them when I need them. He welds studs to the bottom and cuts the holes for the faucet. I don't need screws you can see that way to attach it.

If you had durarock underlayment you could just remove the plywood from underneath, but I don't think that will work with mudbed. You could try.

Hope that makes since.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks