Roman Tub Faucet rough-in kit connection to water supply

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by JasonT, Aug 30, 2012.

1. JasonT

JasonT New Member

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to install a tub with a roman faucet. The faucet's rough-in kit has already been installed onto the tub deck of the tub and the hot and cold has been soldered. I've also roughed in the main supply lines.

When I install the tub, I'm going to have limited space to allow me to solder the copper connection between the main supply lines to the hot/cold of the faucets.

I watched one episode of holmes on homes and I swear I saw the plumber use a braided hose to connect the supply to the roman tub faucet.

The question I have is can I do that? I spoke to a plumber at Homedepot and they said copper is still the best. I will have access to that area in the future so I can always replace the braided hose every 10 yrs or so.

I went to Homedepot and all they had were hoses used for normal sink faucets. Understanding that sink faucets have a lower flow rate than roman tubs, do you know if I can just use those standard braided sink faucet hoses to connect to the roman tub faucets? Would this limit the flow that my faucet will get? Basically I'll have 1/2 inch copper to a 1/2 to 3/8 shutoff valve. Then use the standard 3/8 braided hose to the roman tub rough-in kit. I'll have to solder a threaded fitting onto the roughin kit copper line to allow the hose to connect to it.

Thanks in advance!
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Would that not take forever to fill the tub?

JW
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Use 3/4" mip x 1/2" solder adapters and use 3/4" water heater connection hoses.