Roll In acrylic shower for wheelchair help needed.

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bhomis, Feb 7, 2006.

1. bhomis

bhomis New Member

Hi. I'm in a wheelchair and I have a roll-in shower in my bathroom, and after almost 17 years, we're looking to scrap it and start all over. I have a tile floor and I'd like to get one of those shower pans made of something like acrylic. Tile has just been too much maintenance for a shower floor, plus we've had it leak a few times. What makes it difficult is that my shower area dimensions are approximately 65" X 58". If anyone has any directions to lead me in - companies or web sites, please let me know.
    Thank you.
    bhomis
  2. they are all over

you can find a place that installs the tub shells--liners
    into old tubs...

they usually will do something like what you want
    with acrylic walls....
    look in the yellow pages
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There is a science to making a high performance shower that doesn't leak. Acrylic tends to look funky after awhile, especially if you are going to be rolling a wheelchair over it. Walking on it is one thing, but the grit that inevitably will be in the wheels will mark up the finish. I would suggest tile with an epoxy grout. A good porcelain would take the abuse.

A really good website for showers and tiling is www.johnbridge.com

One of the pros over there is documenting progress on a handycapped shower installation right now, and there are previous links on other similar project. Check it out.
  4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

Check out these guys.

http://www.whitewaterinc.com/

They should have forms for an ADA roll in shower, since I'm using a few on the hotel I'm designing.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber