1. Gordon

Gordon New Member

Hi, new to this site and it looks like you are the people I need to talk with! I have a galvinzed water system 60+ years old. I was thinking of replacing it with cpvc because the flow is almost down to nothing. I have 1/2 inch rizers going to the second floor. Could I use a 3/4 inch rizer to the shower to increase volume? We like a thunderstorm in the shower. Any reason not to use cpvc? I can sweat copper if it is a better choice. Thanks in advance, Gordon
  2. Deb

Deb Plumber

Deb

The ID of CPVC is smaller than copper or galv, so size your system accordingly. You should change out your shower valve to a pressure balance. Showers have a max GPM (measured at 80psi). A larger line will not increase this. However, I would run 3/4" lines to the bath--I never run more than 2 fixtures on 1/2" (& remember CPVC ID is smaller).
    The choice of water line material.....? Kind of a personal preference/water quality issue.
    Deb
    The Pipewench
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cpvc

1/2" CPVC will be larger than your clogged steel pipes, but smaller than an equivalent sized copper tube. 1/2" cpvc will be too small to run to the second floor bathroom, even if it just for the shower.