Rising static pressure???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fetjam, Aug 26, 2007.

1. fetjam

fetjam New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Five months ago installed a canister style filter for my fridge and woke up to it leaking around the seal, looked almost like where the two pieces screw together were destrorted(would'nt meet evenly. installed a new double canister filter system and within a couple of days the same thing (much damage this time)?????? I put a pressure gauge on this line and saw 60psi when water is running in the house and with no water after a few seconds it slowly climbs to 140-160+psi!!!!! The only thing differnt in the house is the installation of a sink i did in the basement. I turned the water off twice in a few days opened most the faucets to drain the water to sweat the pipe in. Could there be trapped air causing this increase from the water heater? House is 9 years old and does not have an expansion tank. If air is trapped will the removal of it stop the increase in pressure. I have no idea what the pressure was in the house before this.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA

There are two ways the psi can raise in your home. If you have a closed system, one with a pressure regulator valve, and no expansion tank, then when the water heater heats, the expanded water has no place to go and the pressure rises. This will trip your T/P valve on the water heater is the pressure reaches 150 psi. If you do not have a closed system, then the city water pressure is fluctuating. I'd suggest a new pressure regulator and an expansion tank to deal with the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2007
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement