riser clamps

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How do you support a cast iron stack you want to cut into when the lead/oakum hub is 6" below the celing joists?

All the pictures ive seen have wood blocks screwed to the joist sides and the riser clamp sits on top, but they never a hub below that point in the picture.

Last edited:

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Can you get to it above the ceiling and put clamps on?

If i supported the stack above the hub (tee side) in the ceiling the pipe below the hub fall wouldn't fall when i cut into it? The lead and oakum hub can support 5 or 6 feet of CI? So I can clamp the pipe(tee) above the one that i'm cutting into and not the one i'm cutting?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
You can use some threaded anchors (sidewinders/sammy's) into the joists and run threaded rod down to the riser clamp to support it at the elevation you want...
We do this all the time...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
clamp

1. The riser clamp works by friction so it will support the pipe no matter where it is installed.
2. The joint will support almost any pipe below it without coming apart.
3. The piping connected to the vertical line, unless the pipe is just going up out of the roof from that point, will support the riser without the clamps in most cases, in which case you are just using the belt and suspenders solution.

Construct30

Reaction score
1. The riser clamp works by friction so it will support the pipe no matter where it is installed.
2. The joint will support almost any pipe below it without coming apart.
3. The piping connected to the vertical line, unless the pipe is just going up out of the roof from that point, will support the riser without the clamps in most cases, in which case you are just using the belt and suspenders solution.

Number two is not always right. I would support it above the joist and also do like previously suggested and make a hanger support just above the cut, unless the cut is a short distance below the joist.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com

#2 may not always be correct, but I have never had a properly made and caulked lead/oakum joint "slip" apart, and since he referenced that type of joint, my statement stands.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My reference to doing it above the ceiling is you may be able to not actually have to screw the clamp to a structure for primary support (still not a bad idea), as you may be able to run the arms across the joists. Then, the thing is basically just sitting on the joists rather than hanging from a bolt into a stud. I know in the stairways where I work, the pipes have clamps sitting on the floor, supported by the slab as they then go down.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I think the OP means that the pipe section he is worried about is going to be supported by a lead and oakum joint connected to the pipe going through the ceiling...
He is not worried about the upper section - he can use a riser clamp for that...
He is more concerned about the lower suspended part...
The sammy hangers I mentioned earlier will work very easily...
swg20.gif

dswg4.gif

Then use some all-thread rod to suspend the riser clamp just below the hub and the pipe will be held in place after the cut...

jcs290

Reaction score
How is the riser clamp connected to the threaded rod? Do you run the rod in between of the 2 halves of the clamp and then support with a washer and bolt? That would seem like a weak connection that has the potential to become loose over time.

Are there clamps on the market that are oriented to accept such a vertical connection?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks