Ripping WonderBoard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris2fur

Reaction score
I've got a concrete overlay floor. I want matching basboards. The overlay contractor needs WonderBoard cut and installed to get a decent thickness. I've researched cutting techniques for wonder board, but have not found the answer to this question:

Can WonderBoard be cut on a table saw using a carbide tipped blade (or other special blade)? For making several linear feet of 3-4" strips, this would seem to be the fastest way and also provide the straightest edges. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for any help.

-Chris

Andy Ring

Reaction score
Won't traditional scoring and snapping work? Not sure what your application is, but why would the edges need to so clean. You can always use a shurform plane to clean up the edges afterwards.

If you must have really clean edges, I don't think the table saw is your best option. I have cut Wonderboard on a wet saw with good results--makes a nice clean cut with no mess. I have also cut it with my circular saw with an abrasive blade in it--it was really messy and there was lots of flying debris (sand/stones. etc.) I would not try that again. For this reason, I would not attempt on a table saw. Finally, a jig saw with a tile blade would probably work well with a lot less mess.

Last edited:

Chris2fur

Reaction score
Andy Ring said:
Won't traditional scoring and snapping work? Not sure what your application is, but why would the edges need to so clean. You can always use a shurform plane to clean up the edges afterwards.

If you must have really clean edges, I don't think the table saw is your best option. I have cut Wonderboard on a wet saw with good results--makes a nice clean cut with no mess. I have also cut it with my circular saw with an abrasive blade in it--it was really messy and there was lots of flying debris (sand/stones. etc.) I would not try that again. For this reason, I would not attempt on a table saw. Finally, a jig saw with a tile blade would probably work well with a lot less mess.

Again, this is being used for baseboards. The 1/4" board is going to be overlaid with concrete and stained to match the concrete overlay floor. The top edge will need to be fairly smooth so it has the effect of a tile baseboard (sans the grout lines). I heard that scoring with a utility knife tears the blades up and doesn't break cleanly, but I have not worked with it before, and may not actually be the case. Thanks for your advice--I will forget the table saw idea. The wet saw sounds good, but I don't have access to one. I may go the jig saw route, I'm just not sure I've a steady enough hand. Maybe I could rig some sort of guide up for the saw.

-Chris

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hardiplank blade

I've had good luck using the 7-1/4" Hardiplank carbide saw blades in my circular saw on cement board. Yes you can use a regular carbide blade, but it is extremely dusty and the blade wears out fast. The hardiplank blades last alot longer and cause less dust. I've seen the Hitachi brand hardiplank blades in 10" and 12" but I've never cut any cement board on the table saw. Be sure to take proper safety precautions while cutting cement materials.

Attachments

• dewalt.jpg
    dewalt.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,285

Andy Ring

Reaction score
What about using Hardiboard? If it will work, its' a lot easier to cut than Wonderboard and gives cleaner edges. You can cut it on a tablesaw no problem.

Chris2fur

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I will look into the Hardiboard option and will also check out the blade suggestion regardless of which board ends up working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks