Right angled pipe wrench

Users who are viewing this thread

erthwrks89

Reaction score
Greetings---- Need to replace faucets in bathroom but need a wrench to get up behind the sink to loosen faucets. Price of new wrench between $200.00-$300.00. Any other method for this job ? besides renting a wrench which Iam not even sure if they do. Thanks Bill

TMB9862

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly you're looking for a basin wrench.

That head swivels allowing you to use it straight up, to the side, or whatever angle you need. A nice Ridgid telescoping one runs $30, a cheapie runs ten bucks or so.

basin-wrench-ridgid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckeyetech

Reaction score
Marlin336 has the correct answer...a basin wrench is what you need. And they're nowhere near $200.00-$300.00. Somebody is leading you down the wrong path and it's not Marlin336.

Go Bucks

TMB9862

Reaction score
You're joking about the sawzall right? Maybe, possibly in some rare case that's the way to go about it but I would never try it unless I was completely out of options and even then I probably wouldn't try it.

Construct30

Reaction score
I would love to see a sawzall take off a faucet without hurting the sink. You must be better with one than I am.

If the basin wrench doesn't work then I use a dremel tool to cut the nuts off the bottom, don't cut too deep. Get a good basin wrench, the cheap ones don't work on a tough nut. Some PB blaster can help if it's green and nasty.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I have actually used a sawzall to remove a faucet on occasion. I don't get close to the sink with it, though. It's only in rare occasions when I can't get in underneath the sink because of space, such as a china basin without enough room for any type of wrench or cutting tool that also cannot be removed from the wall. (Such as cabinet mount in tile)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I to, have used a sawsall on occasion to remove a faucet.

erthwrks89

Reaction score
Thanks for the info-------- I was looking at a "right angled pipe wrench set" thats where I got that big price. I picked up the basin wrench today------ Thanks Again Bill--------:D:D:D:D

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Vindication:
Shop I worked for sent me to replace a leaking faucet on a wall mount lav basin years back.
Feed nuts were completely rusted in place, basin wrench wouldn't budge 'em.
Dismantled the basin off the wall, then replaced the faucet.
Boss later says "Why the hell didn't you just sawzall it off?!?".
I told him thats the best way I know to mangle a fixture, and if thats what he wanted me to do in the future I'd do it.
Today, I'll take a KS basin off the counter first before I use a sawzall with my name on the job.
There will undoubtedly be occasion to have to use a blade, but I'd hand hack it before using a sawzall.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Sawzall works but is dangerous

I have used a Sawzall to take off a stubborn
solid brass Gerber Kitchen + Lav faucets before
many times

also have used a Sawzall to cut off very ancient
brass toilet seats from above... anything is better than
standing on your head trying to get a nasty old toilet bolt to move.

its usually always been in hell hole rental
property that are falling apart...
and I simply don't care too much about the
collateral damage....

Seeing scores of cock-roaches under a kitchen sink
makes my Sawzall "mans best friend"

and as long as it has a variable speed and you have a
brand new Lennox steel cutting blade,

usually, you can cut
that faucet right off without hurting the sink or
disturbing the critters that live under it too....

the Dremmel is another good way to get one off too...

anything is better than mixing it up with the local wildlife...

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score

ew

I guess I'm lucky, I've turned away work in area's of that nature.
Walked in to a home in a bad area a few years ago to give an estimate for a remodel.
The place was cluttered and reeked of bad fish, maybe it was the garbage, maybe it was something else.
They weren't old or disabled.
They seemed accustomed to it.
I made the conscious decision that if they were fine with that smell then they were not fine with paying the right price for a job done right.
Again, maybe I'm lucky to have that choice.
If I walk into a home thats in such a state of disrepair that I feel like gouging their fixtures wouldn't matter to them, then I have to wonder whether they will want to pay to have it done right.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When I find my self in those situations I quote 4 times the regular rate and tell them to call when they are ready.

No one has called me back.

Construct30

Reaction score
Quoting a high price can give you a bad ruputation. I find honesty is the best policy, be diplomatic and tell them your not interested. I had to do a plumbing job in a basement a few years ago. The people had three large dogs that they didn't leave outside, they left them "go for a walk" in the basement it hadn't been cleaned out for years so you can imagine. I told them how unhealthy the entire situation was and I wouldn't go near it. They actually cleaned and sanatized the basement and called me back, I replumbed the house with new copper. It was one of the cleanest basements I ever worked in. I was surprised to ever hear from them again, but it worked out great.

talk about getting off topic, I thought this was a question about a basin wrench, I use the dremel tool works great, I would hate to see what happens to a ceremic or cultured marble top if that sawzall blade binds up. I would hate to replace a $200 or more top.

Last edited:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess the ability to use a sawzall without causing collateral damage is what seperates the men from the boys. You don't have to lay the blade on the surface of the sink, you cut right above the surface.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Hey Girley Men

I also have been using a sawsall on frozen faucets for years.I place a wood shim shingle on the sink. Use a slow speed ,don't stub!
No sweat for an experienced tradesman. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks