Ridiculous Pipe Knocking

Users who are viewing this thread

Callicleez

Reaction score
Hi Team,
Thank you for creating this forum! It appears to be much more comprehensive than others on the net. So I figured I would register here in hopes to get some ideas. I will try to be as comprehensive as possible in my post, hopefully it is not too much:)

I recently purchased a 10-year old house that is on a well and septic system.
The well system has an underground pump (standard switch and electrical box), Well X bladder tank, and a Kenmore water softener system.

Water pressure is good, and the cut-off pressure on the switch appears to be 60 (unsure what the cut-on pressure is).

There appears to be no air chambers or arrestors anywhere on the system. I am unsure if this is due to the Well X tank?

So we decided that we wanted the shower controls in our second bathroom (furthest from the pump). The gold was ugly and we wanted silver.
Turns out the valve for the shower controls was vastly different than what was on there. So we went to a local plumbing supply co. and they showed us the copper pipe adapters we could use to make the new valve fit. Consequently, we used about 4 of them to make it work. Checked for leaks (there are none), and finished the install.

Ever since then the fixtures in that bathroom cause a very audible "knocking" while in use.
Turn the shower or faucet on and you get, knock.....pause.....knock.....pause.....knock, then when you shut it off you get on final "knock".
(This now seems to be spreading to other pipes, or I am now just paranoid)

Unsuccessful troubleshooting.

- Emptied all pipes multiple times to try and allow air into the pipes.
- Emptied all pipes, and water heater, to try and allow air into the pipes.
- Shut off water pump, ran water until no more would come out. I assume at this point my Well x tank would be empty? Checked pressure with a auto tire gauge (seemed to be at 22-23?). Got a bike pump and tried to add air into the well x tank. It did not seem to want to take any.

I am looking for any other DIY suggestions before having to get someone out to the house.

Would removing the adapters and soldering copper make any difference?
Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thank you!!!!
Blake

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fittings wouldn't have an affect.
Sometimes when you are using hot water in a shower, you are heating the waste pipes. As the plastic expands, it can make sounds as it stretches and then retracts in the holes that are drilled through the wood.
Or, you could have some water supply lines that are snug, that are making sounds.
These sounds are sometimes hard to track down.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If this didn't make any noise before you worked on it it's a good chance that something you done has caused the problem, you didn't put your new install in without securing the pipes did you?

Callicleez

Reaction score
They are secure for sure.
I have to agree with you, that I messed something up making the change.
What's odd is that now other pipes are a knockin.

Not near as bad, but it still happens.

I bought some copper pipe and fittings today to try and change it out properly...

Otherwise, I am at a loss.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Blake

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks