riddle of the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got a call for wax failure....

Was not the wax, or the cr, or supply, was not the tank gasket or tank bolts, no hairline cracks, no condensation. Water showed up on the floor once in awhile, flush valve work, flapper was good, chain to flapper was good, everything was perfect. But once in while water showed up on the base of the toilet...... figure me out?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had a situation, maybe a couple of times where the fill valve, up around the top, was spraying water onto the underside of the tank lid. The water drops would caravan over to the back of the tank, then drop off and run down the back of the tank and ultimately to the floor. Unmitigated thermal expansion could possibly cause an intermittent episode such as you described, as the water heater cycles on several times during the day.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
i had one many years ago, we did a huge reno for a very rich man. every morning there was water on the powder room off of the kitchen. My boss said find out what was the problem and fix it. the owner owed us 50 thou. I tried every thing. Then one day i got it, I told the owner to close the powder room door at night and then to call me in the morning, he wanted to know why but i did not tell him. I the morning he called me and said the floor was dry what gives. Your dog (a huge saint bernard ) goes in to the powder room every night and drinks from the toilet. Case closed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have not thought about the dog drinking from it and being that sloppy. Pets sure do like drinking from them. A big dog like that, yep!

What I normally ask is, "Does anyone stand while using the toilet?"
Little kids are bad, and guys with declining eyesight. I can't tell you how many times we've gone out for a bad "seal" and found that some guy is peeing on the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try a deflector such as
Toilet_Seat_Deflector_-2-.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks