Rheem EcoSense Heat Pump Water Heater Right for Me?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by TipsMcStagger, Oct 22, 2012.

1. TipsMcStagger

TipsMcStagger New Member

I live in FL. My water heater is in the garage. It's HOT in my garage most of the year. HD is clearing out the 50 gal Rheem EcoSense heat pump water heater for $974 (normally $1498). I live in a 1400 sq ft home with two baths. It's just me in the house, most of the time.

My existing 30 gal electric heater works just fine but I'm enamored by the notion of having some help cooling the garage. Not to mention, the lowered electric bill (entire house is electric).

Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks.

Tipsy
  2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Heat pump HW heaters work GREAT in hot garages from an efficiency point of view, but don't expect the cooling effect to be noticeable. The thing to watch out for is product reliabilty/warranty issues. IIRC there were some reliability issues with the offshore manufactured GEs, but not the US versions of the same. I haven't heard/read much either way on the Rheem units.

Don't expect to notice much in your electric bill either, given that it's a 1-person household most of the time. It will cut your HW heating power use by more than half, but half of "small" is still small.
  3. TipsMcStagger

TipsMcStagger New Member

Good thoughts. Thanks for the feedback.

Tipsy