Rheem 80 Gallon Hybrid - not going over 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Connor

Reaction score
My brand new fancy Rheem 80 gallon Hybrid water heater will not go above 125 degrees when it's in hybrid only or hybrid mixed mode (hybrid plus electric). Regardless of set point it ends up abound 125 degrees.

When I switch it to electric only mode it goes up to the desired set point as expected.

I called Rheem and the tech lady has a BS answer that in hybrid modes it's algorithm may only get it to within 8 to 15 degrees of the set point. This is crazy as in a the mixed mode why wouldn't just use the electric to finish it off if the hybrid could not keep up.

I really am frustrated. 125 is just not hot enough.

Here is my model:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Pe..._Thank_You_2994556-_-product_desc__W558047343

No where anywhere in the materials does it mention this limitation.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
all of the performance platinum water heaters from home deopt have caused me nothing but grief...
I had to re-wire a 50 gallon because of the stupid led control on the front would not allow the heater to get much higher
than 125
it says you have a 90 day return on the unit... I suggest you consider just taking it back...

they do make a 80 gallon marathon lifetime electric heater that is rather huge but works good...

ruthrj18

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-hpwh-reliability-still-an-issue.67171/page-1

I'd return it as well. Had the 50 gallon unit (Professional Prestige) and it failed spectacularly on me at less than a year old. I was fortunate enough to have bought it from a reputable supply house that refunded me the full price rather than get it replaced under warranty. I had mine set at 140 and it would heat the water to 135 and no higher.

Replaced it with a conventional 50 gallon and installed a thermostatic mixing valve, heat set at 140. I never run out of hot water (family of 4, baths every night for the kids, dishwasher running, etc). Haven't noticed much of a difference in the electric bill to be honest with you. And the conventional model is 1/3rd the price. And it is a hell of a lot quieter. I could here that damn heat pump running in the garage at random times throughout the day and night.

Did I mention you should return it if you can? :D Pocket the savings, I promise you won't regret it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks