Rewiring 2nd floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed54

Reaction score
A relative is refurbing the 2nd floor to his home. The wiring presently is knob & tube. He would like to upgrade the wiring while the walls our removed, but he questioning how to get the new wiring from the basement, 1st floor, then to the 2nd floor. Going thru interior walls is about the only way to do this. But coming upon obstruction is another issue...... Thanks

Jed54

Reaction score
This would an exposed cable running along closet wall to 2nd floor?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there a place in the house where there are two closets directly above each other? Or, is there an area where there are plumbing lines or air ducts that go from floor to floor?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not an exposed cable.

I would say the general idea might be to get one properly sized cable going up to a subpanel on the second floor, and treat the second floor as an all new unit, which is what you are doing. The single feed would have to be in conduit, or some sort of boxed in chase, in an inconspicuous place like the corner of a closet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Or, if you took the wall off of the back of that closet, you could run all of your leads up from the basement through there, and maybe up to the attic, then down to where you want them. Just depends...

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
The relative does know that they will have to have the job inspected. That is because it is a rewire from existing Knob & Tube to upgraded work.

Jed54

Reaction score
This same home has a 200 amp main service panel with No Main Breaker.. I would assume its wired to main lug. Since no main breaker is present does the power have to be disconnected at meter to add a main?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jed54 said:
This same home has a 200 amp main service panel with No Main Breaker.. I would assume its wired to main lug. Since no main breaker is present does the power have to be disconnected at meter to add a main?

It is customary but not required to have a single Main Circuit Breaker.

230.70 Requires a means to disconnect all conductors in a building from the service-entrance conductors.

230.71 Requires that there be not more than six switches or circuit breakers, grouped together, to meet the requirement of 230.70.

It would be permissible put not more than six two-pole breakers in the Main Lug panel to serve sub-panels at various points in the house.

It would be better to install a single main breaker to disconnect all of the service conductors.

It is sometimes possible to convert the Main Lug configuration to a Main Breaker panel.

See 230.90 Exception 3 regarding the capacity of the 2 to 6 circuit breakers providing protection to the Service conductors.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
From the context, I assume you meant, "to add a sub-panel"?

No. The sub-panel feeds off a breaker in the main panel.

Or did you mean, to add a main breaker?

Yes, it'd have to be shut off at the meter.

Jed54

Reaction score
No... I understand no breaker is needed at subpanel as long as their is a breaker located at the main feeding the subpanel. The main panel itself has no main...... Actually, I cannot understand with all the codes that have been created thru time..( which some do not make any sense ) why it's not necessary to have a main breaker... You would think this would be mandatory in case of an emergency.....

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jed54 said:
No... I understand no breaker is needed at subpanel as long as their is a breaker located at the main feeding the subpanel. The main panel itself has no main...... Actually, I cannot understand with all the codes that have been created thru time..( which some do not make any sense ) why it's not necessary to have a main breaker... You would think this would be mandatory in case of an emergency.....

There is a requirement for a means to disconnect all conductors in a building from the service-entrance conductors.

Go back and carefully read my earlier post with particular attention to the citations of 230.70 and 230.71 from the 2005 NEC.

Jed54

Reaction score
I checked for the NEC code manual today.. I was surprised to see they were 120.00....... can it be obtained for a lower $ price then this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks