Reviving Old Irrigation System

Users who are viewing this thread

NurseDoe

Reaction score
There was a huge lawn and lots of trees out back when I moved here 25 years ago. Everything was on wonderful automatic timers-the lawn, the trees etc. Drought happened so I let the lawn die many years ago. Now, I want to use that same system if possible to set up irrigation-likely drip for all the plants and trees.
*There are about 5 valves in a box close to the house.
*Wires still run to them all and the timer box still turn on.
* I have no idea where all the old things are-I know the pipes were broken, sprinkle heads put up and water has not been on in years
* I am willing to do this all myself or with some volunteer family.
* I am sitting with the Ortho's book on sprinklers and irrigation, which assumes I am putting this in for the first time. So is not as helpful as I had hoped.

Questions
1. Where do I start? ( I am thinking with gloves to clear all the dirt off the valves- some are missing that X type shut off and on handles).
2. Should I just replace/update the timer and wires?
3. I want to run enough solid PVC pipe to each section ( one at a time) so I can hook up a drip irrigation system again. I am assuming I can just disconnect the old pipe at the valves and put new pipe? One section about 20 feet and another about 50 or so...

I actually have asked a couple of plumbers to help and it is not something they are interested in doing. You guys have helped me through so many projects in the 1950's ranch home that is falling apart- I am hoping you can give me some ideas to keep the costs down.

#tinyhousesoundsgoodtome

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Oh just shoot me. I uncovered the box and found wet root mass clinging to middle valves. Gawd knows how long it has been leaking. Will be spending forever untangling the blob of roots. Shite

image.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The first question is what type, well with a pump or city water supply? The first thing it get the water flowing first manually or the use of the timer, then check what sprinklers heads are broken, missing and any broken pipes. You might have pipe that broke and are now filled with dirt and roots. Drip irrigation is a good way to go but you'll need to complelty lay new pipe since it is usually small tubing with drip heads all below ground.

Irrigation has changed quite a bit in the 25 last years due to drough and irrigation restriction laws. Rainbird has a nice pop up sprinkler than is a rotory spray and you can also buy just the spray head. (http://store.rainbird.com/sprinkler...rotor-sprinkler-adjustable-pattern-spray.html) I bought a few at HD. It is a low volumn water head and the instructions read that longer watering times may be needed. It minimizes water run off. Easier to install than drip and if you have a pump and well drip irrigation is not possible.

You found the first problem you have, tree roots. As trees grow and root system will lift the ground and start breaking the pipe. It happens here in South Florida all the time. Palm trees grown quite fast the PVC pipe does get brittle and easily cracks. Most likely every valve is bad since all of the diaphrams are probably dried out.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you will be sorry to try this project DIY. You will be up against problem after problem and having to figure out what you have, how it was done and then how to adapt the old to the new if it is even possible. Start from scratch and do it right the first time. Hire a professional designer. It may be you can get a free professional design from an irrigation supply company if you agree to buy all the supplies from them. But even if you have to pay for it, your will likely save money in the long run. One important thing to investigate no matter how you proceed is the regulations that are required today. This will vary from place to place.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I spent a couple summers installing sprinkler systems years ago. Agree with the two posts above -- the use of mini-rotors with multiple streams is a great way to go. Toro and other manufacturers also make those small multi-stream rotors as well.

Similarly, Gary's advice is spot on. Having a pro do the layout will save money and aggravation in the long run. No substitute for on-the-job training, and especially to get experience designing/installing/maintaining systems in your geographic area, as there are many different ways to design a system and climate, soil type, etc. all make a huge difference in how best to design the thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks