Review Shower DWV Diagram Please - ready to install

Users who are viewing this thread

rafigso

Reaction score
Good Evening,

Thanks in advance!!

I'd like to know if what I represented would work, here are some notes:

1. ABS is 2"
2. I'm going to remove the old P-trap from the vent and cap it in order to reutilize the vent for the new shower
3. Can I utilize a 90 degree turn in the waste run from the p trap before the vent, did I say that correctly?
4. Where the waste pipe meets the vent, do I need to use a T or a Y or does it matter?
5. In order to get the slope I need, it seems to me that the pipe gets cemented in at a slight angle, is that correct?
6. When installing the P-trap, does it rest on the drywall from the downstairs ceiling or is it slightly raised, not sure at what depth to seat the P-trap in relation to the joist and subfloor.
7. What's best practice when installing the drain, do I cement a piece of pipe prior to subfloor install and cut after subfloor goes down or do I cement in drain pipe after subfloor.

Here is a picture:

showerDWVRoughIn.jpg

Thanks,
Rafael

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1. ABS is 2"
2. I'm going to remove the old P-trap from the vent and cap it in order to reutilize the vent for the new shower
3. Can I utilize a 90 degree turn in the waste run.

You can have 135 degrees of change after the vent.

4. Where the waste pipe meets the vent, do I need to use a T or a Y or does it matter?

Most codes like a wye fitting in case someone tries to wet vent later on.

5. In order to get the slope I need, it seems to me that the pipe gets cemented in at a slight angle, is that correct?

Fittings are made with that angle built in. 2%

6. When installing the P-trap, does it rest on the drywall from the downstairs ceiling or is it slightly raised, not sure at what depth to seat the P-trap in relation to the joist and subfloor.

Once you have set the p-trap height, it drains down at a 2% slope toward the vent. No..........You can't monkey around with fittings and change that!

7. What's best practice when installing the drain, do I cement a piece of pipe prior to subfloor install and cut after subfloor goes down or do I cement in drain pipe after subfloor.

That depends on what you are using for a shower pan.

rafigso

Reaction score
I have some follow up questions and have color coded them Green, thanks for the quick reply.
1. ABS is 2"
3. Can I utilize a 90 degree turn in the waste run.

You can have 135 degrees of change after the vent.

So is the 90 in the diagram before the vent allowed?

Most codes like a wye fitting in case someone tries to wet vent later on.

Fittings are made with that angle built in. 2%

Once you have set the p-trap height, it drains down at a 2% slope toward the vent. No..........You can't monkey around with fittings and change that!

Do I set the P-trap off the celing or rest it on the ceiling?

That depends on what you are using for a shower pan.

I'm thinking of using pro-slope and then mud

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks