Review my bathroom plumbing layout

Users who are viewing this thread

uncleben

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any input on the layout for the drain/vent plumbing in my bathroom ... its not too complicated, but I'd like to make sure its correct. Thanks.

Neither the toilet or the tub will have a dedicated vent.

layout.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a pro.... Answers may be useful to somebody who knows.

Is there any drain on a higher floor draining into the stack? If yes, What is the length of the 1.5 inch line, and the distance to the stack from the 1.5 to 2 inch wye to the 2 to 3 inch wye?

uncleben

Reaction score
RE: Reach -
There is nothing above the stack. The stack vents straight to the roof other than picking up the vent from the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink vent comes up through the north wall and will tie into the bathroom sink vent before heading up into the attic. I was thinking 2" dia. for this combined vent.

I'm not certain if I understand the distances you're looking for or if they're all still relevant.
The horizontal run for the vent in the attic is ~12'.
The toilet to stack run is ~2'.
The tub to stack run is a little under 5' (3'+ of the 2" dia. and 1.5' of the 3")

RE: Terry -
Can you explain that at little more? Are you saying I need a separate 2" vent to the roof? The 4" stack runs all the way up to the roof. Wouldn't that alone be adequate? Since my tub to stack (vent) distance is less than 5' then that should be ok for 2" dia. pipe. Plus the 3" increases that even further, correct?

Appreciate all the help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since the tub is on the far side of the toilet, a vent is needed. The 4" is on the wrong side of the toilet for the tub. You can wet vent that through the lav if you bump it to 2".

uncleben

Reaction score
Got it! So with just a simple change like I have below I'm good?

layout_revised.jpg

Just so I understand, what is the rationale? What will the toilet do to the tub or vice versa? I didn't know the line from the sink would provide a benefit to the toilet/tub.

uncleben

Reaction score
Could someone confirm that just changing the run from the sink to the junction with the tub from 1-1/2" to 2" is all I need to do? Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Since your shower is not vented separately, the limitation would be the length of the pipe between the sink & the shower.

uncleben

Reaction score
The distance from where the sink joins the toilet to the sink vent its about 10 feet.

I thought that 2" pipe can only be unvented for a max distance of 5'. So that's why I was thinking that since the tub to 4" stack distance was less than 5' I'd be ok. Is that only true when its not joining up with another source? I'd prefer to combine everything ahead of time and tie into the 4" vertical with just the 3".

I'm pulling up the floor shortly so I'll see how everything is run now. I think there is a AIV on the tub and it ties in separately from the toilet.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can vent the shower separately, or you could install a sanitary tee with a side inlet on the 4" stack so the shower enters the side inlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks