Reverse Osmosis to Instant Hot Water?

Users who are viewing this thread

evilFive

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be remodeling my kitchen and I want to have one water dispenser on my countertop. I was hoping that I could route my reverse osmosis water line to the instant hot water dispenser but I can't find anywhere that mentions that it is ok. The installation instructions for the RO system are here: http://www.ecodynewatertreatment.com/rof/WHER25_OM2.pdf and the instant hot water system I'd like to use is here: http://www.insinkerator.com/product/product.php?id=208&template=hwd. Thank you for your guidance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I replaced my ISE tank yesterday, and the instructions specify to connect to "cold water line ONLY". Heating the water removes a lot of the same things that the RO system does.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Running from the filter unit to the water heater would supply it with cold, but RO filters do make the water more agressive, and some metals and devices won't like it. Think of it like this: water is often called the universal solvent. The RO takes most everything out of it. Then, it has the capacity to disolve a lot more when sitting in the tank of the instant hot water system. this would also mean you'd never be able to get any cold, filtered water. A call to the water dispenser manufacturer should tell you if it's okay or not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A single dispenser would NOT do what you wish to. You need a two handle, hot and cold dispenser faucet. But it must be one from ISE or compatible with the ISE heater to work properly. That one WOULD use the RO water for the heater because both the cold and hot use the same water feed line.

evilFive

Reaction score
A single dispenser would NOT do what you wish to. You need a two handle, hot and cold dispenser faucet. But it must be one from ISE or compatible with the ISE heater to work properly. That one WOULD use the RO water for the heater because both the cold and hot use the same water feed line.

That's kind of what I was hoping to do; feed the RO "cool" water to the Insinkerator hot dispenser and then have RO "cool" water come out the blue valve and hot water come from the Insinkerator hot tank and then red handle.

They have a two handle hot/cold and I don't really care about "chilling" the water, just don't want 190 degree drinking water and really don't want a hot water dispenser and r/o dispenser on the counter.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I've heard of ISE tanks developing leaks and so Jim's point about RO water being aggressive is something to consider.

I also wonder about pressure requirements for the ISE and noticed that the RO does not have a booster pump. What is the house pressure? The RO pressure will be less than that.
Storage Tank: The storage tank holds product water.
See Fig. 26. A diaphragm inside the tank holds water
pressurized to about half of supply water pressure
when the tank is full. This provides fast flow to the
Reverse Osmosis faucet. When the tank is empty of
water, the pressure at the air valve is 5 - 7 psi.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; feed the RO "cool" water to the Insinkerator hot dispenser and then have RO "cool" water come out the blue valve and hot water come from the Insinkerator hot tank and then red handle.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "blue valve" and "red handle" unless you have the ISE "HC" faucet with both hot and cold handles. In that case the cold side does NOT have to be chilled, although that is what the occassional user does with it. The cold water to the faucet usually feeds BOTH taps, either with a tee or an internal common feed in the faucet. Since the ISE hot/cold faucet has a single cold water feed for both taps, the original question was unnecessary, since using RO water for both uses would be the ONLY way it could be connected.

The ISE has absolutely no pressure requirements. Water flows through the faucet handle, to the heater, and then up to the spout. The new tanks are stainless steel so the are less affected by water issues.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally I would have no problem piping the RO to the hot water dispenser. I can't see where it would effect the operation or make any difference at all in the longevity of either.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are some applications, such as free standing ice makers which recommend NOT using RO water for the feed, but I have disregarded that caveat dozens of times without any problems. My current one has had no problems since it was installed 12 years ago.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Back when we kept a fish tank, I would make distilled water for them because the potassium softened water was bad for the fish. When I finally put in a RO filter, I thought I could use RO water for the fish instead but it failed the pH test as being too acidic. This surprised me as I had expected the RO water to have the same PH as distilled. When I researched it online, I found lots of anecdotal evidence of RO water eating away at copper pipes and lots of suggestions to use pex.

One thing I know for sure... RO water is good for cleaning. It truly is a universal solvent. Use it in your ISE if you want but if an ISE is prone to springing a leak from regular water, I'd be concerned about what RO water may do to it.

BTW, here is a link to an article that explains how and why RO water may be more acidic than the water from which it was derived.
http://freedrinkingwater.com/water-education2/ro-ph.htm

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is just anecdotal, but I was always under the impression that RO water should not be run through copper tubing, because it could pick up a metallic taste, and not good for the copper.

evilFive

Reaction score
quote; feed the RO "cool" water to the Insinkerator hot dispenser and then have RO "cool" water come out the blue valve and hot water come from the Insinkerator hot tank and then red handle.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "blue valve" and "red handle" unless you have the ISE "HC" faucet with both hot and cold handles. In that case the cold side does NOT have to be chilled, although that is what the occassional user does with it. The cold water to the faucet usually feeds BOTH taps, either with a tee or an internal common feed in the faucet. Since the ISE hot/cold faucet has a single cold water feed for both taps, the original question was unnecessary, since using RO water for both uses would be the ONLY way it could be connected.

The ISE has absolutely no pressure requirements. Water flows through the faucet handle, to the heater, and then up to the spout. The new tanks are stainless steel so the are less affected by water issues.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I was always under the impression that RO water should not be run through copper tubing, because it could pick up a metallic taste, and not good for the copper.

And HOW do you suppose it GETS that metallic taste?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks