Reverse osmosis - tank pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

Not really. The air charge will be at system design pressure when the membrane shuts off. The water will then discharge at exactly the same rate regardless of the initial charge. BUT when the water usage drains the tank down to the manufacturer's recommendation the tank will be empty and water will cease flowing. If the charge was actually less than that the water will continue to flow at a slower rate until the tank is empty.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes really.

The water flow reduces as the tank empties because the pressure reduces to 0 psi, the same as a well pump pressure tank does.

When the tank empties the output of the membrane trickles out the faucet instead of going into the tank. It only goes into the tank when the faucet is shut off.

kagtha

Reaction score
Tank Pressure problem?

Yeah I had a similar issue. What Gary said may be simple but it was my first installation so I was not thinking straight. I didnt have very good water pressure, i finally figured out that the tank needed back pressure to work (the faucet in the off position) Duh

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the pressure is TOO above the system pressure, the RO unit cannot push any water into the tank, so you get ZERO volume from it and the only flow is from the membrane. If the pressure is ZERO, the tank will be full of water but there is no air to push it out, so you only get the water flowing from the membrane. Under ANY other situation the system will compress the air to its working pressure and it will deliver water until the air pushes all the water out of the tank, at which time the flow will diminish. The higher the pressure the LESS water the tank will hold, and vice versa, but it will be at the precharged pressure at the time it stops flowing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks