reverse osmosis system

Users who are viewing this thread

Michaela521

Reaction score
Hello, I was wonding if there was anyway to test my ro water to see if the ro membrane needs replacing and also test to see if the prefilters and carbon filters need replacing. Thanks

Michaela521

Reaction score
That is nice. Thanks for the help. What about the prefilters and carbon filters? Anyway to check those. Thanks again.

Wallskev

Reaction score
Pre-Testing

2 separte Issues here:

1. Pre-Filters - usually a "sedimete" rock and stone filter needs replacement when it is no longer doing the job. This is difficut to test except for measurement of a pressure/flow drop on both siodes of the filters. (that is what is done in comercial areas that are critical). At a low cost, I would cehck for "dirtyness" and replace at a minimum of every 6 months.

2. Carbon filters should be monitored based on total water flow. At 20,000 gallons they shoudl be 99.9+%. A test I did on my previos system I replaced the carbon filter at 2 years . The test results on clorine dropped below 85%. Do a clorine test of water before and after the filter and compare the results..

Look at http://www.hach.com/ fdor various test kits and prices.

Set your frequency based on your base water conditions.

Michaela521

Reaction score
Thanks. My thoughts were that perhaps when I change the prefilters at first I can measure the flow rate then and then remeasure every 6 months to check for a drop in water output.

Are the carbon filters responsible for removing the chlorine alone or does the reverse osmosis play a role in it. In other words inorder to check this do I have to splice a tube in after the carbon filters to check the chlorine there or can I check the chlorine after the water has gone through the reverse osmosis membrane as well. THank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The carbon filter will remove a lot of chemicals, including chlorine. So, the more you can filter out before the RO filter, the longer the RO filter might last. Now, depending on the relative costs to replace, you might live with one or the other. Together, they remove more than either alone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks