Reverse Osmosis or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Kai

Reaction score
Hi All,

After reading some old posts here, I have a new question. Should I use RO filter or not. My water is pretty good comparing to standard. It has little Nitrite, well bellow the safety limit, and little hard. No bacteria has been detected. I have installed softner to solve the hardness issue. My concern is that the water quality may vary due to rain or snow during a year. I cannot monitor the water constantly. So I think it may be make sense to install a RO system for dring water. I saw many information about the greatness of RO, from both manufacturer and third party. I also see some concerns here. Should I install my RO or return it?

Thanks,

Kai

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Always remember that no filter, including RO, will fix water which is bacteriolgicvally unsafe.

Lots of people put an RO on for their drinking water after a softener to remove the sodium.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You need only test for Nitrate say every wet season or every 2-3 months. Most people do not need a RO. Even for added sodium due to a softener. The formula is 7.85 mg/l (roughly a quart) of added sodium per gpg of ion exchange. Usually a slice of white bread has more sodium in it... or a glass of skim milk, at 530 mg.

There are drinking water filters for the removal of Nitrates. They use anion, Nitrate specific, resin. They cost much less to purchase and maintain than RO.

Jimbo, agreed on the no RO and bacteria but there are ceramic POU filters for removal of bacteria from water. They are able to be cleaned with a stiff brush and reused.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks