reverse osmosis makes noise

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by vegashomes, Sep 10, 2008.

1. vegashomes

vegashomes New Member

I hear the noise of water running coming out of the drain for the kitchen sink. It is quite loud and sometimes goes on for hours. Is there a way to lessen the noise. Is this normal?

Thanks
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Install the drain for the ro closer to the water level of the trap.
    less distance to fall the quieter it will be.
  3. vegashomes

vegashomes New Member

How long is it supposed to run? Sometimes it runs for hours even though we just used a little water.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A small home RO unit may only be rated at 3 to 5 gallons per day. SO if you use a few gallons of water, the unit will be doing makeup essentially 24/7
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Ear plugs:D
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Ro

How old is the RO unit. Older ones did not have an automatic shutoff when the tank was full and kept trying to make water continually.
  7. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

As a general rule it takes 4 gallons to make 1 gallon of RO water. I located my RO unit in the basement, directly below the kitchen, and routed the line up to the kitchen sink for a POU faucet so I don't have to listen to tingling all the time:D