Reverse osmosis longevity question

Users who are viewing this thread

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
I've heard that it isn't wise to leave an RO system dormant for any length of time. We spend 6 months away from home each winter which is why in the past I've drained it wasting several gallons of good water, then replacing all the filters in the spring. Is it really necessary to do this or can I leave it sit for 6 months and begin using it when we return without replacing the filters, or wasting the water.

Thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Waste the water, seriously, a few gallons of water is nothing. If you are really worried about wasting 5 gallons, then dump it on the lawn. Most filtration systems can harbor bacteria and they can encourage growth. Sanitizing the RO is a good idea annually regardless.

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
Waste the water, seriously, a few gallons of water is nothing. If you are really worried about wasting 5 gallons, then dump it on the lawn. Most filtration systems can harbor bacteria and they can encourage growth. Sanitizing the RO is a good idea annually regardless.

Thanks, I will continue with my past regime. Concerning sanitizing the system how thorough should I be. I replace the elements and clean the housings every 6 months. Should the tubing be replaced? it's 10 years old next march.

Briian

ditttohead

Reaction score
10 years, I would recommend upgrading and updating your RO system. Most high end RO systems last about 10 years prior to some catastrophic failure. Most low end RO's last about 3-5 years prior to catastrophic failures. FYI, I have had to deal with insurance claims for many years and the majority were due to the inexpensive junk RO systems that companies have manufactured in their never ending quest to be the lowest price.

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
10 years, I would recommend upgrading and updating your RO system. Most high end RO systems last about 10 years prior to some catastrophic failure. Most low end RO's last about 3-5 years prior to catastrophic failures. FYI, I have had to deal with insurance claims for many years and the majority were due to the inexpensive junk RO systems that companies have manufactured in their never ending quest to be the lowest price.

I don't like taking up a lot of your time with this, but I guess that's what this forum is for. We asked the previous owners to have the system installed due to high arsenic levels 10 yrs ago. They were charged $700.00 for it. It looks exactly like the systems available on ebay for $150.00. Last summer I replaced the holding tank. When I replace the elements every spring I disassemble the valve and clean it too. After your previous message I have to ask where do I purchase one of those better quality systems?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is hard to tell the difference between a pile of garbage and a good quality unit. Many companies use garbage housings that look nice, same for the fittings, tubing, connections, etc. all in their effort to be $1 cheaper than the next guy on E**Y.

Just consider your hobby, the lowest price stuff is typically junk. I mountain bike, I would not ride a Huffy or Murray... I also play Hockey, I could get hockey skates for $79...

FYI, we have tested many RO systems that actually add arsenic to the water due to the extremely poor quality of the carbon used in the post filtration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks