Reverse osmosis faucet air gap over flows water on the counter

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Talisker, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Talisker

Talisker New Member

Whenever I turn on garbage disposal, my reverse osmosis overflows water on to the counter and then slowing leaks inside the kitchen sink cabinet. Why does this happen? Please help.
  2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

The airgap drain should be located in a different location. i assume you have a saddle tap type of connection. These are technically not to code, but they are common and pose no real world problems. The air gap drain tap should be located on the other sink drain, and it must be installed on the sink side of the p-trap. Look under the sink to determine the best location for the saddle tap.

You could also update your drain to code with one of the items pictured here.

dishwasher_07.jpg drain_boa_02.jpg
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

It overflows because when the disposal is running it won't accept water from the RO filter. Like Dittohead said, Move its drain.
  4. Talisker

Talisker New Member

Thank you. Plumber had connected reverse osmosis drain pipe in wrong location.
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

That's why it pays to hire a pro.