Return bend only, for kitchen sink trap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chassis, Jan 23, 2010.

1. chassis

chassis Engineer

Good afternoon all,

I am replacing an old metal drum trap, presently installed in a kitchen sink/disposer situation. The outlet from the disposer is about 3" above the horizontal trap arm. My problem is I don't think a standard PVC 1-1/2" p-trap assembly will work. It seems to me the trap will need to be lower (driven the disposer waste arm) than the existing copper DWV wants it to be.

So the question is - can I use a return bend (hub x hub) only as a trap? On the inlet side, I would install my own vertical tailpiece with a trap adapter, to attach to the disposer waste arm. On the outlet side, I would install a vertical run, with a 90 deg. elbow, followed by a run of horizontal pipe to the copper DWV.

Is this an OK installation? I am eliminating the normally-provided (in Home Depot) trap arm component of a p-trap assembly. Thanks for any replies.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your description of the solution is very convoluted. IF the disposer outlet is 3" above the wall pipe, there is NO reason why you cannot use a standard "P" trap, assuming you do the piping properly.
  3. chassis

chassis Engineer

Thanks for the reply hj. I will see if I can make a standard 1-1/2" PVC p-trap work.
  4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

they make and sell to diy ext. Tube pipes with a slip joint nut on top that will extend

into your standard p-trap that's how professionals do this kind of problem !

Do not " use a flexible " type extension they are not code legal and are

a stoppage waiting to happen

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010