Retrofitting boxes in steel stud construction

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Here's one that is new on me:

Just walked thru a modest job that requires replacing two 4"sq boxes with three gang.

Apparently the building is built of steel studs.

I want to do the least damage possible.

What do you think I will run into, and how can I do this cleanest?

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You can use gem boxes and gang them together and hold them with madison straps, but I wouldn't. I would cut away some drywall, use a Caddy screw gun bracket a metal box and mud ring. If you can't patch drywall do it anyway. You'll be good at it by the end of the job.

Reaction score
You can use gem boxes and gang them together and hold them with madison straps, but I wouldn't. I would cut away some drywall, use a Caddy screw gun bracket a metal box and mud ring. If you can't patch drywall do it anyway. You'll be good at it by the end of the job.

I'm pretty good at patching drywall.

My current inclination is to use a three gang masonry box. I will figure out how far from the opposite drywall it would fall to be flush with the face of the drywall, and glue a suitable pad of wood there, then run some screws thru the back of the box to secure it. A 3 1/2" box probably needs a 3/4" pad behind it. Construction adhesive is my friend!

I'd not use this approach if the box was going to house a receptacle, but there will only be switches in them.

This is no less secure than an old work box with wings. Which I don't like to use with receptacles.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks