Retrofitting boxes in steel stud construction

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Homeownerinburb, May 7, 2013.

1. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

Here's one that is new on me:

Just walked thru a modest job that requires replacing two 4"sq boxes with three gang.

Apparently the building is built of steel studs.

I want to do the least damage possible.

What do you think I will run into, and how can I do this cleanest?
  2. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

You can use gem boxes and gang them together and hold them with madison straps, but I wouldn't. I would cut away some drywall, use a Caddy screw gun bracket a metal box and mud ring. If you can't patch drywall do it anyway. You'll be good at it by the end of the job.
  3. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

I'm pretty good at patching drywall.

My current inclination is to use a three gang masonry box. I will figure out how far from the opposite drywall it would fall to be flush with the face of the drywall, and glue a suitable pad of wood there, then run some screws thru the back of the box to secure it. A 3 1/2" box probably needs a 3/4" pad behind it. Construction adhesive is my friend!

I'd not use this approach if the box was going to house a receptacle, but there will only be switches in them.

This is no less secure than an old work box with wings. Which I don't like to use with receptacles.....