retrofit weeping tile

Users who are viewing this thread

tjetson

Reaction score
Hi,

when installing weeping tile on an existing basement, Footing with concrete wall. do you run the weeping tile under the footing ? or drill threw the footing? It seems to me the smarter choice would be running it under the footing but then you will be very low to the sump pump

please let me know what is the best practices

thanks

Wallskev

Reaction score
I have used the following method on several retrofit homers with 100% success of:

Don’t drill through the footings or wall !

• Break out concrete basement floor approximately 18 " from the outside walls.
• Dig out a trench to the bottom of your footing. (Below floor, 1' to 2' deep)
• On the very first course of block, drill a series of ¾" hole into each block cavity releasing any trapped water from within the block.
• Install drainage board in front of drilled holes from the weeping tile trench up wall to just below the bottom of the floor.
• Place 4" weeping tile (Fabric covered) beside your footing.
• Inside weeping tile can now be hooked up to sump box or closest floor drain.
• Excavated area should be covered with ¾" gravel to just below floor level
• Re-pour concrete floor leaving ¾ gap space at wall

:DSuccess !
A lot of work but well worth it. I never did understand why builders just did not put weeping tile and proper exterior sealing and drainage board on foundations.

Do not drill holes into a poured concrete wall.
• To install an inside weeping tile system for a poured concrete foundation, the process is the same.
• Drainage board will allow any water, that has gained entry, to freely drain into new weeping tile system..

Dont's:
1. Again, do not drill holes into a poured concrete wall or footings !
2. Do not dig deeper than the bottom of your footing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can go under the footing and then back up to the pit's location if necessary. It just creates a "trap" in the line that the water can pass through. NEVER, NEVER drill the footing. It has "rebar" in it to stabilize the concrete and if you cut it, which you would have to do, it would severely weaken the building's structure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks