Retrofit underfloor radiant heating?

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryG

Reaction score
I am in the middle of 2 bathroom remodels. One has already had the wet-bed and tile installed on the floor. Is there a way to safely and efficiently install underfloor radiant heating? The rooms are on the second floor and the ceiling below have been removed to expose the underside of the subfloor. The subfloor is 1x4 tongue and groove. There is about 1 1/2" to 2" of wet-bed and pebble tile. My concerns; will heat radiate up through the wood subfloor, and will the heat damage the floor joists or subfloor? If this can work any suggestions for manufacturers or brands?

I do not have hot water heat in the house and would hope to use an "electric tape" type heat source.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hindsite is expensive! Do you have a boiler? You have a lot of mass to heat up. Electric would have worked in the floor sandwich (i.e., under the tile), but I don't think anyone would recommend it as a staple up. Hydronic staple up would work, but your supply temperature will need to be much higher (and thus less efficient) plus, you'd need plate diffusers to spread the heat more evenly. Response rates will be very slow. Either would have been much more efficient and easier to install as part of the mud bed underneath the tile.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

Wood is a very poor heat transfer medium, so you need a lot of temperature to penetrate it, then you also have to heat the subfloor and tile. Most electric panels have a very small BTU factor so they would probably have to work almost 24/7 to keep the floor warm.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
They do make them, I looked into them for our kitchen
Basically they come in rolls that fit between the joists
You'd need to most likely push rigid insulation up under them to trap the heat & heat the floors & not the air
I never looked into it too much, decided against it as the kitchen has a large radiator

http://www.suntouch.com/underfloor/

After connecting your SunStat thermostat and testing the system, install R-11 to R-19 fiberglass batt insulation up to the mats. Also install insulation vertically at the ends of the joist bays or 6 inches after the mat ends.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Don't waste your money, time or effort on an electric system in this particular case. You need a hydronic system.

mulveykemster

Reaction score
LarryG

The newly constructed houses are now coming with the new Underfloor heating system. Underfloor heating systems require a wooden or tiled flooring to be effective and to work efficiently. The feel of suntouch com with underfloor heating makes you feel better. Hope you need this..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks