Retrofit to create HW Recirc system?

Users who are viewing this thread

donl1150

Reaction score
We recently moved into a 7 year old single story home. It is quite long (110') one end to the other with bedrooms at both ends. The primary water heater is in the center of the home in a closet. There is also a small water heater in the crawl space at one end of the house. The bed/bath room nearest the small water heater gets virtually instant hot water while in the remainder of the house you have to wait up to a minute or so to get hot water.

I have done my best to draw up the complete domestic water system, since it is easily accessible in the crawl space. We have our own deep well system that is supplied by a constant pressure pump.

Domestic Water.jpg

The dark blue lines are the cold water lines; the red lines are the hot water lines and the light blue lines are mixed hot/cold that supply the water for the toilets to avoid sweating during the humid times. The two mixing valves are shown along with a photo of the mixing valve.

My goal is to reduce the time needed to get hot water everywhere with the minimum amount of work/cost. Since there is no actual 'return' line to the water heaters, I am wondering if there is a simple way to just make a cross connection somewhere and add a circulation pump to create a hot water loop?

Csuruki

Reaction score
You can use an on-demand hot water recirc pump underneath the kitchen sink (assuming from your diagram that it is the furthest sink from the water heater and where you would need hot water). No return line needed with the ACT D'mand pump C1-100-PF. It has a hard-wired button and since you already have an outlet under the kitchen sink, you wouldn't need to drop an electrical line (like in a bathroom).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks