Retrofit meter with remote read

Users who are viewing this thread

Fraser Jim

Reaction score
Have a well with an indoor water meter. County is requiring the ability to read on outside of home. Meter body marked Precision 5/8"PMM, with meter marked Invensys PMM. It has a rotating clock type pointer and then a analog display showing gallons used.

Can anyone suggest a retrofit that could go on the meter with a display that I could mount outside??? Only about 1' to outside wall, so hard wired is preferable.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would have to check with the meter manufacturer to see if they have a remote reading module that would attach between your meter and its dial. Otherwise you need a new meter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I know that water rights are different in the arid west, but is it common for the municipality to actually care how much water you pull out of your well? Or, is it a shared well provided by them?

Fraser Jim

Reaction score
Water law and water rights are a big deal in Colorado. We have our own well. The development has purchased water rights to a fixed amount of water.. Even though we are on our own well, we have to prove that we are not taking water that isn't ours.

Stuff

Reaction score
You could ask the county what they support so you don't do it twice. Last year my meter was swapped out with one that can be read wirelessly. Old one did have the remote on the outside of the house that was removed. Apparently they no longer want to have a meter person leave their vehicle to read the meter.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Water law and water rights are a big deal in Colorado. We have our own well. The development has purchased water rights to a fixed amount of water.. Even though we are on our own well, we have to prove that we are not taking water that isn't ours.

This seems really absurd. If it is water coming out of your own well what do they care how much water you use! This seems like another BIG BROTHER INTRUSION! I am certainly no fan of wireless meters. Most Smart Meters emit more radio waves than OSHA says is acceptable. There are tons of people trying to get rid of them and now people are being arrested for standing in the way of them being installed on their own homes. Smart meters are being proved of causing all kinds of health issues. I would sure like to get rid of mine. But then again I have all kinds of other electronic things that are proven to be bad for me too. Like my wireless computer equipment.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In much of the west, you buy the land, you do not buy the mineral and water rights underneath it. There are obviously exceptions, but it all depends on what's in your deed. The water underneath is a shared resource just like you can't divert all of the water from a surface stream, apparently, you can't suck excessive amounts of water out of the ground. WHen I lived in El Paso, the city bought some land in NM and then wanted to put in a well. Since it was in NM, and on the 'other' side of the mountain, the aquifer was different...NM shut that down quickly. Water is life, and there's not an unlimited supply which is why we have the flow restrictions on things like showerheads, faucets, and toilets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks