Retrieve 3/4 in PVC pipe dropped into 2 inch pipe PVC pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

jmcintosh

Reaction score
Hi, I have a dropped about a 6 in long piece of 3/4 in PVC pipe into a 2 in PVC pipe. Is there some clever device I can buy to fish it out or retrieve it? Its about 6-8 feet down into the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Schedule 40 3/4 inch has an internal diameter of about 0.804 inch.

The 2 inch pipe is vertical?

You have ____ clearance above the 2 inch pipe so that you could stick a rod of that length down the pipe.

The 2 inch pipe has an elbow, below where the 3/4 pipe sits so there is not a danger that the 3/4 inch pipe can continue in?

You can clearly see the 3/4 inch pipe when you look in? Note that you may be able to light up the outside off the 2 inch pipe so that you don't have to have to hold a flashlight to see?

I don't think a vacuum cleaner will have enough suck to pull the pipe out.

One possibility is to use a piece of wood, such as a long quarter-round or shoe molding, and gently taper it near the end. Feed the end into the 3/4 pipe and apply a little force to wedge the wood into the 3/4 inch, wiggle and lift out.

If worst comes to worst, cut the 2 inch pipe, retrieve your 3/4, and glue the 2 inch pipe back together with a coupler. Maybe you could think of a reason that a cleanout etc could be useful there and install that instead of a coupler.

jmcintosh

Reaction score
Well thats the problem. This if for a HVAC coil drain and I dont have but about 2 feet of clearance above it. I would use a stick to retrieve but it would hit the rafters of the roof. Its also inside of a wall so I'd have to cut sheet rock out to splice it. I probably need something on a line that could drop into the pipe and expand the catch the loose 3/4 piece.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks