Restoring old Chain Vise - What kind of grease for the screw handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

AlecJTrevelyan

Reaction score
I'm restoring an old ridgid chain vise. The vise chain tights when the screw handle is turned. I just wire brushed everything down to practically bare metal. What kind of grease/oil should I put on the screw handle? The screw sits inside the vise housing, but I don't want it to rust. Tool won't be used much, so the oil from running a pipe threader wont be penetrating the tool like it normal would. On hand I have some silicone grease that I used to lube up o-rings when replacing shower valve cartidges. It is part 11 in this picture:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't use grease. Grease won't come off and accumulates dust, shavings, and dirt. I think i would just use any gun oil or door hinge oil. That way it'll coat the metal and preserve it without catching extra debris. Just oil it every so often.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A very light coating of grease would be fine. Nothing goopy that would attract and hold shavings and dust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks