Restaurant plumbing corrections

Users who are viewing this thread

spconstruction

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the Forum. Did a lot of reading and research before i got Into doing a huge plumbing Job for a Restaurant. I Need advice on a 2 corrections before i can pass my inspections. First One is at the end of the line for the floor sink. Is this acceptable. I had a double fixture fitting and vented. It didnt pass. So i cut the concrete some more and plumb it how u See it now. Second is my drain for a Hand wash sink in the kitchen. I had to 45 my connections because of the supply in the way. It would be pushing out, and Not be inside the wall. All advice and help would be appreciated.

IMAG0189.jpg
IMAG0187.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you a licensed plumber, or a contractor doing a commercial job without a license? I ask because if you had a license you wouldn't be asking the question and if you're not a licensed plumber you shouldn't be doing the work.

spconstruction

In the Trades
Reaction score
No I am Not licensed. I am working with the owner. I am Learning the plumbing trade, reviewed the codes and assist with the project. Asking for advice, or help. Some of these Codes are gray to me. Just looking for assistance.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Excuse me for butting in, but although I'm a lowly DIY, I have picked up a fair amount of information over my tenure here. I am quite certain that commercial establishments can not use unlicensed plumbers. A GC plus an owner does not equal a license. You seem to be operating in California which is well know for stacks of rules of their own in addition to standard codes. I think you are on shaky ground here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. An owner cannot do plumbing in a commercial establishment, only a single family residence.
2. Even if he could, HE would have to do the work himself. He CANNOT hire "helpers" to do it for him.
3. From what you show, I cannot tell how you could have had a "back to back fixture fitting" there.
4. A "double Y" should have worked.
5. I do not know why you HAD to 45 the drain line, since it still had to cross the water line.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Excuse me for butting in, but although I'm a lowly DIY, I have picked up a fair amount of information over my tenure here. I am quite certain that commercial establishments can not use unlicensed plumbers. A GC plus an owner does not equal a license. You seem to be operating in California which is well know for stacks of rules of their own in addition to standard codes. I think you are on shaky ground here.

Very shaky ground indeed and.... It pisses me off. You don't see plumbers jacking work from electricians, masons, carpenters, roofers etc but for some reason every handy hack contractor in the world seems to feel its his right to screw the plumbers over. If I knew where he was and where he was working, I'd turn him in.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. An owner cannot do plumbing in a commercial establishment, only a single family residence.
2. Even if he could, HE would have to do the work himself. He CANNOT hire "helpers" to do it for him.
3. From what you show, I cannot tell how you could have had a "back to back fixture fitting" there.
4. A "double Y" should have worked.

Where's the vent?

spconstruction

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks! But I passed 80 percent of my Underground inspections. Did everything to Code and the inspector was really impressed. 4 floor sinks, 1 floor drain, all passed and tested in the kitchen. Not a DIYer. No disrespect to anyone here. And yes here when you file for owner builder, you can hire anyone to perform the work. Its upon there discretion. It states that on the application. I'm jacking no work from anyone. I'm out here looking for work and getting it. Like I said I'm Learning the trade, because i want too. Not just for the heck of it. And I Seen worse work from licensed people, fly by night contractors and more. We got permits and plans.

I don't have back to back fittings there. P trap, trap arm, wye rolled up for that fixture to be vented.
I 45 that Hand sink because the fittings would be pushing out the drywall.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks! But I passed 80 percent of my Underground inspections. Did everything to Code and the inspector was really impressed. 4 floor sinks, 1 floor drain, all passed and tested in the kitchen. Not a DIYer. No disrespect to anyone here. And yes here when you file for owner builder, you can hire anyone to perform the work. Its upon there discretion. It states that on the application. I'm jacking no work from anyone. I'm out here looking for work and getting it. Like I said I'm Learning the trade, because i want too. Not just for the heck of it. And I Seen worse work from licensed people, fly by night contractors and more. We got permits and plans.

I don't have back to back fittings there. P trap, trap arm, wye rolled up for that fixture to be vented.
I 45 that Hand sink because the fittings would be pushing out the drywall.

In my state you would be before a judge. Learning the trade my ass. You are jacking work from licensed plumbers and bypassing the proper channels. Where's the master you are working under and where is your apprentice card? How about the classroom hours too? You are learning the trade by asking questions on the Internet? That your inspector is an idiot is just lucky for you I guess. The vents wouldn't pass by any inspector that knew what he was doing. And what in hell is passed 80%

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you are not "jacking work" from a registered contractor, then you must be charging the same amount he would have, so how is the guy saving money? I am sure you are "working for wages" and a very low wage at that. The first thing our inspectors ask for is the contractor's license. In fact, you do not even get a permit without it, unless you are a homeowner doing it yourself. As for the owner, I am sure he is also getting other DIYs/sidejobbers/Tinkerjacklegs to do his electrical and other work. Did the inspector make you do a water test on the drainage, since your photos do not show any "test plugs" in the floor sink? Interesting that you could insert a 45 into a rolled up Y and make a 90 degree corner, since that should only be possible if the Y in horizontal. It takes a different fitting to make a 90 turn into a rolled up Y.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think we know all the facts here, and therefore we should not pass any judgments. Not on this guy (owner builder?), the inspector (never call an inspector "idiot"), the whole system.

When applying for a building permit here in CA, certain trades must be listed as a pre-requisite with license numbers (plumbing included). The fact that the inspector conducted an inspection means that these requirements were somehow met, which allowed such an inspection.

Things are different in New England states and that's why living conditions are so great over there. We all know that. But to rant and make assumptions on a job 3000 miles away, without knowing all the facts is stupid.

I'm not defending the OP, but Tom, cool down.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your code is slightly different as are the procedures for procuring a plumbing license but they are not that different. The guy is plumbing illegally and either the inspector is an idiot, getting paid off or is a relative.

California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A plumbing contractor provides a means for a supply of safe water, ample in volume and of suitable temperature for the purpose intended and the proper disposal of fluid waste from the premises in all structures and fixed works. This classification includes but is not limited to:

(a) Complete removal of waste from the premises or the construction and connection of on-site waste disposal systems;

(b) Piping, storage tanks and venting for a safe and adequate supply of gases and liquids for any purpose, including vacuum, compressed air and gases for medical, dental, commercial and industrial uses;

(c) All gas appliances, flues and gas connections for all systems including suspended space heating units. This does not include forced warm air units;

(d) Water and gas piping from the property owner's side of the utility meter to the structure or fixed works;

(e) Installation of any type of equipment to heat water, or fluids, to a temperature suitable for the purposes listed in this section, including the installation of solar equipment for this purpose; and

(f) The maintenance and replacement of all items described above and all health and safety devices such as, but not limited to, gas earthquake valves, gas control valves, back flow preventors, water conditioning equipment and regulating valves.

Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)

How to go about getting a plumbing license in California:

1 Graduate from high school or get a passing grade on the General Educational Development (GED) exam. Most apprenticeship programs require that you are 18 and have received the equivalent of a high school diploma.

2 Apply for a state recognized plumbing apprenticeship program. These programs are available through organizations or plumbing companies. They usually include coursework and on-the-job training lasting up to 4 years.
Go to the California Department of Industrial Relations website, at dir.ca.gov, to research potential apprenticeship programs in your county. Look under the "Apprenticeship" tab and search by occupation and county.
You can also research a degree in plumbing from a technical school. This will cover a portion of your educational requirement and the program may be able to place you in an apprenticeship position.

3 Complete all course work and work experience and pass all exams during your apprenticeship. These qualifications will allow you to work as a journeyman plumber.

4 Work as a journeyman plumber for 4 years. You can complete jobs that are $500 or less without a contractor's license. You can also work for a plumbing company as a foreman, owner-builder or supervisor for that 4 year period.

So at the end of section 4 that bit about jobs less than 500 dollars is probably where this is getting slid through but that only pertains to residential work and no sane plumber would do that work for that pay.

Last edited:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Tough crowd here today.

Same rhetoric on the electrical forums.

Go, and sin no more.
Mr Sawyer.

You all have done many things that you were not licensed to do, qualified to do and without inspections.

And please spare me the, as a homeowner I'm allowed to do anything I please, in my state, county, city.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious person but there are so many great "gotcha's" in the Bible.:)

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tough crowd here today.

Same rhetoric on the electrical forums.

Mr Sawyer.

You all have done many things that you were not licensed to do, qualified to do and without inspections.

And please spare me the, as a homeowner I'm allowed to do anything I please, in my state, county, city.

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious person but there are so many great "gotcha's" in the Bible.:)

He's NOT the homeowner. He's an unlicensed contractor working in a commercial kitchen. And no, as the homeowner you are absolutely NOT allowed to do anything you please in your state, county, city. You ARE required to get a permit and you ARE required to have the work inspected throughout the various phases of construction and you ARE required to follow the state and local codes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
as a homeowner I'm allowed to do anything I please, in my state, county, city.

When I travel to other countries, you know, the ones where you can't drink the water without getting sick, so therefore you need to take shots "before" you go, and they tell you don't drink from a bottle unless it top "pops" off. Don't drink from refilled bottles :(

What makes this a first world country is licensing of certain fields.
Plumbing is one, and that is so that we don't poison the community water supply, which has happened with restaurant plumbing. That is why it requires a commercial license to work on that plumbing. Four years under an apprenticship. At the end of four years, you can take the commercial test for plumbers. They don't view it as a learn as you go type of thing.
It may be that the local inspector has no idea that the person doing the work is unlicensed. I rarely get asked for my card, even though I carry it in my wallet.
Whenever I get back from traveling, I feel like kissing the ground here. It is so much cleaner and safer. And that takes cooperation, and laws, and people that follow laws.
If you want to see what it's like to have the freedom to polute your neigbors water, just travel to those areas of the world. See it first hand. It will change the way you think.
And by the way. The bible has plenty of "laws" mentioned in it. One is to treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated.
In other words, don't mess with the water supply we all drink from. :)

A picture showing more of the job would help. Seeing just a few fittings doesn't show much of the layout. :)

This is true freedom. There are no electrical or plumbing laws here.

india_elec_3475.jpg

Electrical wiring in India. They have more freedom there. Don't you wish the US had freedom like this to run wires anyway you like?
But wait......we have lawyers here. We sue people that kill our kids by electrocuting them.

india_1487.jpg

A public sewer line and convenient bathroom. This is why most of the women have long dresses. They can squat over the ditch.

india_1473.jpg

A woman pumping water, just a few feet from the sewer ditch that people pee in.

Last edited:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
I'm shocked I tell you...................shocked.

That's two people that chose to read and edit my post as a means to their spin.

Do I need to use this as a means of a getting your attention?

It's your "Holier than thou" attitude.

In other words, you need an attitude adjustment.

Remember, there are Federal laws covering verbal abuse of old prople.:p

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sorry to be so mean to you.
I will take up my bible today and be gooder.

When I was in India, I enjoyed going to all the religious sites. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks