Resin leaked into plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

ZACKO

Reaction score
I just had a new softener installed (not sure of the brand/model) in my home 1 month ago and everything seemed to be working fine until yesterday afternoon. Resin poured into the plumbing and quickly clogged up most of the fixtures in the house. I knew enough to bypass the softener and call the plumber who originally installed the softener. He was over in 15 minutes and helped clear all the faucets and lines. He took a look at the softener and said that he mistakenly reversed lines and that's why I was now, 30 days later, getting resin throughout the house. He's planning to return tomorrow to make the repair. Does this seem odd to occur a month later? Is there anything I should make sure to ask him?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that would have happened when you used water at a high rate. Maybe drawing 2 baths at once or other peak use that you did not happen to have done the first month.

Did the old water softener that the plumber replaced a month ago happen to have an Autotrol controller?

The resin level is normally about 2/3 of the tank height.

Don't forget to drain and flush the water heater.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Very common problem when a system is installed backwards. The upper screen is designed to prevent resin from exiting under normal backwash conditions or during shipping. It is not intended to be slammed with resin. This will usually break it after a few months/years causing the problem you described. Glad your plumber was able to fix it so easily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks