Resin in House Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

dmendiol

Reaction score
Brand: Turbo Soft made by Cuno Industries
Model: 56MT480
Problem: Resin flowed into the house plumbing lines

I moved the unit several weeks ago to a “better†location; I only disconnected the supply lines to move it. Within hours after the move, I noticed clogged aerators. According to the plumbing company, I caused the problem (broken filter basket) by moving it. They wanted to install a new unit for an outrageous amount. I was not at home and it’s apparent they did not even open the unit.
IMG-20120105-00084.jpgIMG-20120105-00085.jpgIMG-20120105-00086.jpg
After some research, it seems the most common problem is a break in the riser or riser basket assembly. I disassembled the mineral tank and it still had some resin remaining in the tank. I emptied and cleaned the tank to take a look at the riser and basket assembly and I can’t seem to find any breaks (see attached pictures). The resin does look small enough to fit through the filter basket assembly. Should there be mesh inside the basket? How small should the resin be? Does it degrade over time? I’ve only had the softener 3 years. Are there any other parts that could malfunction and cause this problem?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does not look like there was a challenge or break within the turbo unit, but the twin turbo is hard to find if one can even find one.. they where out years ago but they could not get it to work right.

How tall is the media tank in question and what level was the resin inside the tank?

Where the screws tight when you undid them?

dmendiol

Reaction score
I have not measured the tank but looks like the standard. I'll take a look at the manual. The tank was about have full with resin and screws were tight. Could I use another brand of distributor tube as long as the diameter and height are the same? Is the filter basket the only place where the resin could have gotten through? Am I better off just getting a new unit? I was looking at a Fleck 2510 SXT Digital Metered Model 25SXT-2-48-M for $630 delivered.

dmendiol

Reaction score
I almost certain the mineral tank is 10x54. Is the 48,000 large enough? 6 persons in a 3,000 sqft home.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Demendiol, if the control valve was not loosened or removed, and you didn't drop the unit to make the move, you didn't do anything that would cause the resin to get out except plumb it backwards. In to the Outlet and out to the INlet with no top basket. That dumps all the resin in the tank that can get out of the tank into the plumbing.

See if you can't find direction arrows on the bypass or control valve or in a manual. The right and left is viewed from the front of the control valve.

dmendiol

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I reconnected the lines the same way after I moved it--I'll check again. If I would have plumbed it in reverse, would the house still get water? The plumber also mentioned that I had to do certain things before I put the unit into service. He was not specific as this is left to the "professionals."

Should I just rebed with resin and try it again? What type and how much resin do I use? Also, should I just get another DT just in case? If so, what type DT should I get?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you had it plumbed reverse, then most likely you would not have any resin left in the media tank.
Now again ...
How tall is the media tank?
What is the distance between the top of the tank and the resin?

How much resin did you find at the sink?

dmendiol

Reaction score
It's 54 inches. It was about half full before I emptied it. There was resin all over the house faucets, toiletes, etc. before I put the unit into bypass. One thing I noticed soon after the move, the resin clog the faucets mostly with the running cold water.

I am still cleaning faucet aerators but not much. Could it be the resin degraded and went through the filter?

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is starting to sound like you got the plumbing reverse, that is after you got it hooked up there was resin right away.

With the turbo the resin is often within 10" from the top of the media tank.

Have you double and triple checked the in and out lines to the softener?

dmendiol

Reaction score
Problem solved!

After a double and triple check, the problem has been solved. The lines were reversed! Now I know the plumbing company did not really check anything because the lines were as I had put them.

What type and how much resin do I put in the tank? Also, do I need gravel?

Thanks for all your help.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the turbo there is no gravel...
Standard resin is most likely what you had at the start, but you should call the company that you bought it from and find out the type of resin used, measure the difference between what you have now and ten inches from the top... might only be .5 cubic feet of resin needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks