Resin durability with Water shock

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We have some water hammering in our older house. Probably some pipes not secured. We have arrestors on our washing machine valve which makes a huge difference. Most of our facets make a clunk due to this issue. Our pressure is only around 60 psi.
There was some talk about resin in a water softener taking a pounding from typical water pressure shock.
When I sweat in and install the softener loop, would it be advised to install a water hammer arrestor near the Softener valve to help mitigate resin damage. Looking at 8% resin media, 10% is dropping in price and one claim is it is also more durable to water shock.
Using an arrestor on the 1" softener loop to protect the investment seems easy to configure into the loop? Thoughts?
Ideally the overhaul of the basement pluming will resolve this over all hammer issue but might be a good idea to tie in an arrestor?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You could add a simple thermal expansion tank, much more cushioning than the shock arrestor.
Sounds like you are looking for the cheapest softener, please avoid these. Most online companies sell absolute garbage. They may have a good valve, but the rest of the equipment tends to be junk.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I am on the right train of thought here. Arrestor, expansion tank, etc.
Yea I will keep my eyes open for good system. Hoping not to buy garage...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks