Residential Wiring & Crimp Fittings

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by seaneys, Jul 22, 2007.

1. seaneys

seaneys New Member

I'm wiring an addition to my house.. I've been through this a few times in the past (actually rewired my current house a few years ago). I really like to use stranded wire since it is easier to pull (12 Ga THHN). I just find it annoying getting stranded wire around the screw connectors on outlets and switches.

Is is accepted by code (2005 NEC) to use mechanical crimp lugs in the place of wrapping the wire around the screw connector? I can not find a reference on GB's site stating that they specifically conform to the 2005 NEC...

Is this a crazy way to attach the wires?

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Yes

Just leave a little piece (about 1/4 inch) of the insulation at the very end of the stripped end and it will hold the strands together when installing them under a screw
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

For receptacles, use the kind that are backwire. NOT back-stabbed. Use the kind where the end of the wire is pushed into an opening on the back, and when you tighten the screw it clamps the wire. Very secure .
  4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

As long as the crimp on connector is UL listed for attachment to that type of wire you should be fine. If you look in the section that covers THHN/THWN it should say that any listed terminations are acceptable. Don't forget that UL listing requires that you attach per manufacturer's instructions. I've seen this in commercial wire-ups where they didn't use the back-wire (not backstab) receptacles as Jimbo suggests (best option).