Rerouting waste line...is this radius okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Marine

Reaction score
Sorry about the multiple pictures. I'm on my phone right now and not sure what happened.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
We're in the process of relocating a basement bathroom/utility room in order to open up the room. The waste line for the upstairs bathroom runs up the existing wall of the basement bathroom so has to be moved. My plan is take it straight up from where the septic waste line comes into the house with a long sweep combo and then continue the waste line towards the other side of the house for the relocated downstairs bathroom. Once I got the concrete cut and sand dugout i can see that the septic tank starts about a foot inside the block wall. So, instead of shooting straight up the waste line will have to come down and do an almost semi circle. There are a couple different configurations I have in mind but want to make sure it'll drain correctly. I'm going to have a friends brother, who owns his own plumbing business, come over before I glue everything up for approval but want to have it laid out first. Here are a couple of ways I was considering. The one picture might be tougher to visualize but it would have about a 12" of straight between the two 45's. What do you think? Would either photo 1 or 2 work out okay and be up to code in most jurisdictions?

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marine

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. From looking at it I figured it would flow okay but wanted a pro's advice on the best way especially since it'll be under concrete.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as this big project progresses. I also have to move the main water line, water heater, sub panel, furnace, and reroute some ductwork. A lot of work but not much money involved in materials. It's really going to open things up so it will be well worth the work when done. The existing bath already needed remodeled and I wanted to swap all of the cpvc out for copper anyways.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
The day you actually install that, you will figure out how to make it fit better.

You might even need a very very short piece of pipe somewhere there, that can happen and it's ok to use that.

Right now you can only guess with fittings placed beside.

Have a surplus of fittings on hand so you are not running back to the store. You can always refund what you don't use.

Marine

Reaction score
Great advice. Thank you. Once get everything moved, and the basement bathroom done, I'm going to remodel and relocate everything in the upstairs bathroom, so I've been stocking up on all kinds of fittings. Pretty much all plumbing from the septic in is going to be new. I figure I'll probably have almost every fitting on hand until I start getting close to wrapping everything up. Luckily our local grocery store has one isle of hardware and even have 1 1/2 up to 4" fittings in the back room. Not bad for a town of 1400. You pay a little more but beats paying for gas for a 25 minute drive each way to get to Menards for a $3 fitting.

Thanks again

Marine

Reaction score
Best grocery store ever. A pic of all this would be great to share!

I'll get a pic this weekend. We use to have a small hardware store but it closes down. The local owner of the IGA purchased the stock he could fit in the store. One side of one isle as a selection of tools, spark plugs, painting supplies, screws/nails, caulk, taping knives, and a whole lot of other stuff. In the back store room he even has all of the bolt bins along with a selection of plumbing fittings, 10' sticks of pvc, cpvc, copper and galvanized. There is also electrical. Up front by the entryway they have sakrete, water softener salt, and rakes, shovels, etc. For a small town it's a decent size store but probably considered small by most standards so it's nice to have the hardware there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks