Rerouting sewer drain on outside of house?

Users who are viewing this thread

Benj

Reaction score
I currently have a 2nd floor bathroom that was put together in a remodel before I bought the house. The drain for this bathroom goes straight down to the basement then courses 40' along the basement wall with slight drop then goes straight down into the floor near the corner. It does not tie into my other sewer drain currently and I have no idea where it drains to...other than into the basement floor. It's a shared drain with my basement drains for sinks and under the slab/floor water.

I want to run this sewer line directly out of the house where it comes into the basement and course through the yard to connect with the sewer drain from the rest of the house. The only or main issue is that it would come through the house outside the house above grade. I don't know if it will be a problem for it to come out of the house above grade. I'd much rather put it above grade because the basement foundation wall is 11" thick concrete. Is there any problem with sewer coming out about 1.5" above grade from the house wall? I'm in Washington State and it doesn't freeze much here.

Thanks..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Obviously, it DOES tie into your other drain somewhere, otherwise it would NOT drain at all. I do not know what your problem is with the existing connection, but from your description, it DOES connect to the main line from the rest of the house already, unless there is something you are not telling us.

Benj

Reaction score
It ties into something, however, this is a 90 year old house and some of the drains I've dug up are segmented concrete which are nearly obstructed. I'm planning to put in a new patio in the line where the drain would run outside the house, so I want to put in good drain now rather than relying on whatever is there to hold up for the duration.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Is there any problem with sewer coming out about 1.5" above grade from the house wall? I'm in Washington State and it doesn't freeze much here.
I do not know what an inspector might say, but my concern would be related to exposing PVC to sunlight and/or any kind of line to all the elements (weather). But if you come through the wall and immediately turn down into the ground and then continue on from there, maybe you could find some simple way to cover the exposed ell to protect and preserve it.

Benj

Reaction score
I just ended up drilling a 4" hole through the basement wall below grade and running the 3" ABS out through the wall, a 3" to 4" Fernco connecting to 4" SCH 40 DWV. I'm a little dissapointed in the SCH 40 DWV pipe...cellular core with a very thin layer of dense PVC on the inside and outside. Guess I should have stuck with the slightly thinner "sewer pipe"...ie...SDR 35/ASTM 3034, as it's about 1/2 the price of SCH 40 DWV and much denser...though thinner.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks