Rerouting kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Rasmuspa

Reaction score
I'm in the processing of a kitchen remodel and need some plumbing guidance. My wife wants a regular 24 inch dishwasher to be installed into a space where a small, apartment style dishwasher was once located. No big problem I thought, until I removed the old dishwasher and found out that the drain line from the sink directly intersects the area where the new unit will be placed.

I'm wondering if there is a way to reroute the drain pipe from the sink into the drain waste vent stack? As you can see, the fitting for the stack sits at a bit of an angle. What are my DIY options? Or would it be best to hire a plumber to do the job? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 582
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 565
  • photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 480

Rasmuspa

Reaction score
Yeah, it may have been the original location for the sink. I'm not sure. In any case, I think we're set on keeping the location of the sink and dishwasher as is.

I'm wondering if there's a way to rotate the fitting (or replace the fitting) on the waste stack and then run a short section parallel to the wall (or inside the wall) and an elbow to the sink?

SHR

Reaction score
Moving the drain connection can be done, even as a DIY project but I would be concerned about fitting the new dishwasher in your 18" space. In your photos it does not look like you have 24". You will also probably need a new countertop.

Rasmuspa

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, SHR. The cabinets/sink/counter tops are all on their way to the garbage. The 24 inch width with the new cabinets will be accommodated. I'm just concerned about rerouting the pipe so it doesn't bump up against the back of the dishwasher.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It CAN be rerouted, but we do not have enough information to know whether the pipe goes vertical or horizontal inside the wall. It makes a difference in how it can be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks