Reroute Vent Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigbstanley

Reaction score
I'm knocking out a wall in my kitchen and I have a vent pipe which comes from the drain of kitchen and goes straight up to the roof. I would like to put an elbow on it in the kitchen and reroute it through the walls, up into the attic and then put another elbow on it to connect it back up with the vent on the roof. I don't really see any problems with it, but I want to ask someone if this will cause any problems. I guess I'm afraid of gas build up in one of the elbows or in the horizontal section of the pipe. I've attached two pictures of what I have and on it what I'd like to do. Any thoughts, advice, or knowledge would be much appreciated. I guess I'm looking for encouragement that this is OK to do.

Thanx in advance!

Attachments

• ventPipe.jpg
    ventPipe.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,312
  • ventDiagram.jpg
    ventDiagram.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,390

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One problem....a vent pipe cannot run horizontal at any point lower than 42" above floor level ( 6" above rim of highest fixture). It looks like you might be able to wye off the drains near the wall connector and 45 up to the right.

Bigbstanley

Reaction score
hmm, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Isn't that kind of what I have drawn? The red would be my wye off to the right. Are you saying that I would need to move my drains for the sink lower to the ground maybe and then do a 45 from there to the right wall? Or does my redline just need to be higher?

Also, before I did all this, i had a contractor come in and give me a quote on the whole kitchen, including removing this wall. He said that he had a solution for the vent without even having to move it. He didn't say exactly what it was, but anyone have any idea what he could have thought?

Last edited:

Bigbstanley

Reaction score
No, not making an island. I'm just removing a section of the wall. I want to have regular counter and then 6-7 in above that have a "bar counter" in the shape of an 'L'. Here's a pic to show you exactly what I'm doing. It's just that pipe, that I'm not sure what to do with.

Attachments

• overAll.jpg
    overAll.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,274

Bigbstanley

Reaction score
Maybe my first diagram was a bit confusing. I would use angles. I'm thinking a 30 on the lower section and a 45 in the attic.

Attachments

• ventDiagram.jpg
    ventDiagram.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,429

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Where is the drain for the sink and dishwasher going to land?
How far from were you are planning to go upward.

Is there a slab, crawlspace, or basement below this?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Your drawing is adequate, but the horizontal section should/must be elevated as close as possible to the bottom of the pass through opening, or at least above the level of the countertop.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
non professional guesswork.

I'm going to try to draw what Jimbo suggested...

One problem....a vent pipe cannot run horizontal at any point lower than 42" above floor level ( 6" above rim of highest fixture). It looks like you might be able to wye off the drains near the wall connector and 45 up to the right.

I think you'll have to combine the two drains into one, and one of those will be wet vented for a foot or so.

Have I totally messed this up?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,006
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,309
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks