Reroute Vent Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bigbstanley, Feb 2, 2009.

1. bigbstanley

bigbstanley New Member

I'm knocking out a wall in my kitchen and I have a vent pipe which comes from the drain of kitchen and goes straight up to the roof. I would like to put an elbow on it in the kitchen and reroute it through the walls, up into the attic and then put another elbow on it to connect it back up with the vent on the roof. I don't really see any problems with it, but I want to ask someone if this will cause any problems. I guess I'm afraid of gas build up in one of the elbows or in the horizontal section of the pipe. I've attached two pictures of what I have and on it what I'd like to do. Any thoughts, advice, or knowledge would be much appreciated. I guess I'm looking for encouragement that this is OK to do.

Thanx in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

One problem....a vent pipe cannot run horizontal at any point lower than 42" above floor level ( 6" above rim of highest fixture). It looks like you might be able to wye off the drains near the wall connector and 45 up to the right.
  3. bigbstanley

bigbstanley New Member

hmm, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Isn't that kind of what I have drawn? The red would be my wye off to the right. Are you saying that I would need to move my drains for the sink lower to the ground maybe and then do a 45 from there to the right wall? Or does my redline just need to be higher?

Also, before I did all this, i had a contractor come in and give me a quote on the whole kitchen, including removing this wall. He said that he had a solution for the vent without even having to move it. He didn't say exactly what it was, but anyone have any idea what he could have thought?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Removing the wall and making an island sink?
  5. bigbstanley

bigbstanley New Member

No, not making an island. I'm just removing a section of the wall. I want to have regular counter and then 6-7 in above that have a "bar counter" in the shape of an 'L'. Here's a pic to show you exactly what I'm doing. It's just that pipe, that I'm not sure what to do with.

Attached Files:

6. bigbstanley

bigbstanley New Member

Maybe my first diagram was a bit confusing. I would use angles. I'm thinking a 30 on the lower section and a 45 in the attic.

Attached Files:

7. bigbstanley

bigbstanley New Member

any thoughts?
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Where is the drain for the sink and dishwasher going to land?
    How far from were you are planning to go upward.

Is there a slab, crawlspace, or basement below this?
  9. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Looks like someone found the AAV's at the big orange box.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

Your drawing is adequate, but the horizontal section should/must be elevated as close as possible to the bottom of the pass through opening, or at least above the level of the countertop.
  11. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

non professional guesswork.

I'm going to try to draw what Jimbo suggested...

I think you'll have to combine the two drains into one, and one of those will be wet vented for a foot or so.

Have I totally messed this up?

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views: