Requesting help with Toto Entrada Tank installation problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
I am installing TOTO CST244EF Entrada and have run into difficulty with tank installation. The gap between the tank bottom and the toilet is significant (>1/4") and I am concerned that I may crack the tank if I try to tighten it. Please see the attached pictures and advise.
Thank you. tank seal.jpg tank gap.jpg gap.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Take it off, straighten it out so it's vertical as it comes down, and tighten slowly, a few turns on one side, a few turns on the other side, holding it totally vertical, until the 3 points of contact (2 in front and one in rear, as shown in your instructions) are almost touching, like the thickness of a couple of business cards. As you get close, be careful to look at each point of contact, because one will always be a smidge closer than the other two, unless you have the thing plumbline-vertical. Be careful not to tighten if ANY points of contact ARE touching, because that's how you crack it.

Tightening down and compressing that rubber gasket is what you are supposed to do. You won't crack it if no porcelain on the tank is touching any porcelain on the base. No porcelain on porcelain contact, and you will be fine. I cant tell from your photos, but right now it doesn't look totally straight front to back. Sometimes it takes a few tries where you have to loosen it, make it vertical, and start tightening again. My first one ever took like 3 or 4 tries. After that...cake. Sometimes it helps if one person holds it and the other person tightens while checking where the points of contact are relative to the tank.

The points of contact don't have to actually "contact" the tank -- very, very close is good enough. It will be nice and stable as it sits on the compressed gasket if you get it to within the thickness of a couple of business cards. (Our contributor Jim says a couple of pieces of paper; either way.)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Think of tightening lug nuts on a wheel. More nuts that tank bolts, but somewhat the same idea. Alternate from nut to nut so as to avoid getting one side way ahead of the other. A little bit at a time, side to side. The business card is a good "feeler gauge".

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
Thank you both for your guidance. I tried my best 3 times but couldn't get all three points to have the same clearance. The single point in the back is closer than the two in the front. It's flushing right without any leaks so I'll leave it alone.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As long as the rubber gasket is well-compressed and the tank doesn't wobble, and we're talking about small tolerances, you're fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks