Request - help with shower faucet removal and install

Users who are viewing this thread

edserran

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently moved into a condo unit and I have a question about my bathroom tub and shower faucet. I’d like to replace the hardware as the handle feels a bit loose and is a bit old-looking. It seemed easy enough for me to fix: just take the screws off and pull the handle out and swap out for the new hardware. As I tried to pull the faucet handle and trim off I noticed the previous owner installed some sort of clear sealant (which had since started yellowing) around the faucet handle trim. It’s definitely holding the trim in against the tiles.

My question is if you guys could help me step by step on how I should handle this and any tips you could give me. I guess I will need to scrape the sealant off before doing anything. But after that, do I need to exercise any caution while pulling this hardware off? Do I need to clean anything inside?

I’m very new to home improvement (especially plumbing) so your patience is appreciated.

Thanks,
Emmanuel

Attachments

• IMG_6902.JPG
    IMG_6902.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_6904.JPG
    IMG_6904.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6905.JPG
    IMG_6905.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 234

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a Delta faucet and many places sell the trim without the valve body. Just remove the two screws and pull the round plate off the wall. Scrape the caulking off the tile and install the new trim WITHOUT caulking.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This "new and improved" web site does not allow editing the previous posting, at least not 'immediately', so I will add this to the previous answer. IF the valve is so shallow that the plate does not contact the wall, try pushing the valve back and wedging it in place. If it will not move, Delta makes some "add on" decorations which fit between the wall and the round trim ring to fill the gap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This "new and improved" web site does not allow editing the previous posting, at least not 'immediately', so I will add this to the previous answer. IF the valve is so shallow that the plate does not contact the wall, try pushing the valve back and wedging it in place. If it will not move, Delta makes some "add on" decorations which fit between the wall and the round trim ring to fill the gap.

edserran

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply.
I will try to buy the trim as recommended and see if it works out. Just for my information I'd just like to know, is that common practice to apply caulking in place of the trim? Or do you think that they did this because the valve may be shallow as you described?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is not a common practice and if the ring does not touch the wall call Delta 1-800-345-DELT and ask them to send you part number P34359 in the finish of the rest of the parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks