Reputation of ABS Robusta sump pump / sump pump configuration issues

Users who are viewing this thread

ct-esq

Reaction score
Given the failure of the integral float switch in less than one year of operation, I'm interested in the members' opinion of the ABS Robusta sump pump.

My plumber installed a submersible ABS Robusta 1/2 hp pump in Feb 2008 after the existing 1/3 hp Rigid pedestal pump failed to move the water out of my sump pit leading to basement flooding. the flooding occurred after 3.0" of rain in 18 hours or less. The 1/3 hp Rigid was fine, operationally, but couldn't handle the volume. Ultimately, about 1.0" of water covered the basement despite 2 hastly purchased floor suckers from Flotech and my 2nd sump pump running as well.

It didn't help, of course, that the 1/3 hp Rigid was discharging into a 2" pipe, for about 30ft under floor trusses to a common exit from the basement, where it was joined by the discharge of a 1/2 hp Rigid pedestal pump in the second sump pit in my basement.

The plumbers solution was to split the discharge of each pump to separate 2" pipe and install the ABS Robusta 1/2 hp pump. We did the separation with a hack saw during the rain storm and that helped. It was clear that even with its own exhaust, the 1/3 hp Rigid just wouldn't cover the expected volume from that pit.

The ABS Robusta has been fine, but I've since learned that the integral float switch has a much shorter travel than the adjustable pedestal float on the Rigid. The mechanical switch in the float in the ABS has now failed.

From this brief background, I have several questions for the members.

1. Does anyone have any opinions about the ABS Robusta? reliability? reputation? etc.? Success/failure stories?

2. Shouldn't my plumber have recognized the limitations in the short travel of the integral float and recommended installation of a separate float or other switch that would have dealt with the higher level of water? (I didn't know much about sump pumps at that time)

3. Is it likely that ABS will replace the pump under warranty?

Thanks for your input.

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
Don't know much about your brand of pump...If it doesn't say Hydromatic or Zoeller, I don't pay much attention.

Regarding your pump....is your switch plug a piggyback design? If so, then disconnect your pump motor plug from the switch plug and buy an SJE rhombus vertical master #1003590 switch and install it. Very reliable and easy to install and plug your pump motor into it instead.

ct-esq

Reaction score
the only switch, right now, is the one integral to the pump -- so there is no separate plug or wire or anything.

thanks re SJM switch - i may order it; i have a hydrocheck HiLo electronic switch on the way now.

thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks