Replacing Wirsbo Control Type 514 with Uponor A3031004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron Gordon

Reaction score
I am replacing a Wirsbo Zone Control Type 514 in radiant floor. The system currently uses two-wire, single-stage thermostat, Wirsbo Type 507. I am attempting to replace the control with Uponor Zone Control A3031004. The wiring change over seemed very simple; but, when I tried to power up and test the zone thermostat controls, the thermostats started smoking!! Everything I've read, including that of Uponor says that this controller is compatible with any two-wire hydronic radiant floor thermostats, and since Uponor now owns Wirsbo, compatibility would seem like a no-brainer.
Another possibility: I notice that the supply requirement is 24 VAC ± 10% and the old transformer was reading closer to 29 VAC.
Final possibility: I also read that some other thermostats (i.e. Honeywell) needed a small resistor in parallel with thermostat or zone actuator to operate properly. I know that the Wirsbo Type 507 did its magic by pulsing the current and could be seem as a change in resistance at its terminals. Is the effective range different, thus requiring a different resistance baseline?
PS Not using the A3031004 to control the circulation pump. Instead, I use a set-point interrupter that controls all the system power (pump, zone control, & thermostat). This is needed because system also has manually controlled wall radiators in basement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks